large tiles plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be tiling the bathroom using wall and floor tiles (Padova range from Topps). They are 45cm x 31cm and weigh 22kg/m2. Will I have a problem tiling onto plasterboard? The 3 walls around the bath are plasterboard and it will have a shower over. Also, the shop sold us Sealocrete PLA-GRIP tub adhesive. Will this be ok??? Starting to really worry now.....

Sponsored Links
the weight of tile is fine,plasterboard will take 32kg.
The tub gear is no good,id use Bal single part flexi, bagged adhesive.
You will need to prime before, Bal apd.Use thin bed solid bed trowel.
Shower area needs tanking also.
No worries ;)

Thanks for that. The other walls (not plasterboard) have just been skimmed. Will they be ok, too and will I have to prime them?

ok here ....:)

why apd...? for the diyer I understand your use ..lol
32 kg ...a lot less in tanked areas ......cannot think now but I believe its 10 % less ...Im sure the other pro guys here will correct me ..lol :) :)

(merry xmas jase/gcol ;) )

Sponsored Links
Moz
why do you feel the need to question my reply instead of giving the poster your expert advice???
I wouldnt mind if i was on here giving advice like joe90 ffs...
:confused: so whats your problem

Sorry to get in the middle of your tiff, but any answer for the 2nd part of my question ie on the plastered walls will I be ok and what do I prime them with? Cheers.

A skimmed wall will generally only be as good as the bond between the skim coat and whatever is under it and it is generally advised that a skimmed wall will only take 20kg/m2 combined weight of tile & adhesive.

The plaster will not need priming unless it is very highly polished in which case 50/50 BAL APD/water will do. with the added benifit of extending the open time of the adhesive.

Like sticky says tanking will make the shower walls (water)bomb proof, if any water should get through your grout the plasterboard will easily be damaged. and powdered adhesive is the way to go with large format tiles.

Jason

when you posted that attack on me were you drunk ?

where was I attacking you , lol....lol....lol
I said BAL APD was right to use ..lol FFS...If I was attacking your advice you would know about it lol

chill out guy ...lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back