Ravenheat RSF820 Diverter valve

Hp1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Need to change a diverter valve on the RSF820 Ravenheat boiler. Looks a little tricky, any advice from those who have done this would be appreciated. Any special tools that may help, any other component removal necessary? Is it possible to reach and undo all five connections with normal spanners?

Kind Regards

Harry (RGI)

Sponsored Links
yes its entirely possible...its not really all that bad a job

Thats not my view!

Its one of the most tricky ones to do. Probably only surpassed by that dreadful Worcester!

I allow 1.5 hours but an Irish fellow I once met who had been a service agent said he fine tuned it to 45 min.

I would suggest you take along a spare set of knuckles!

Tony

Easy enough with a short/wide bahco adjustable and bent pliers for the switches/clip
Helps to take one side off boiler, and I think the pilot tube, but that's all.

Sponsored Links
ive never found it to be particularly troublesome.....i would say after you have done it once its a sub 50 minute job for most guys.

trouble sometimes can be lining up all the outlets and getting all the nuts started on the threads...thats about it

very tricky to do but like others said it is possible. First of all turn electricity off to boiler. Then cover the pcb up with a plastic bag to stop water getting in.

One you have removed the old one and start to put new one it just get all the nuts started and leave them all slack until you have them all started. then tighten up. Otherwise it can be a nighmare trying to get the nuts to fit.

good luck.

the hardest part i've found is getting the clip back on the microswitch once you have finished.

i never look forward to doing these. :rolleyes:

Worcester 350 take me approx 15 mins to swap and are a doddle as the valve is right at the front in a great place unlike ravenheat which are right at the back and take 1 hour +

For the clip: for lots of things in fact...
longbentpliers.jpg

Best way I found of lining the pipes up is to just slacken the grub screws on the collar so the head can turn. :idea:

Hi have recently within the last couple of weeks changed this part on my daughters 820/20 assisting plumber, it was not that bad at all, removed the front panel and the bottom tray and take off the left hand side panel, drain down the boiler thoroughly, then cover the pcb with a piece of plastic and cloth to fully protect it,, crack off the compression fittings and remove the valve, ezypart were very competitive and the part and micro switch only came to 30 odd pounds or so, though we then had a problem with the pump, however that has been changed and ''sentinel x 400 added to the system via an upstairs rad, and things are improving by the day, my daughter has now lovely hot rads, and the hot water is starting to behave itself, (ie, the boiler is not cutting in and out and is constant, but the valve although fiddly is not that bad regards dave

micky p said:
Worcester 350 take me approx 15 mins to swap and are a doddle as the valve is right at the front in a great place unlike ravenheat which are right at the back and take 1 hour +

350 diverter?? :confused:

Hi,

Thank you everyone for there help.
ChrisR is it not possible to put the microswitch on before the pipes are connected to the diverter body (otherwise its working blind). I will be able to remove left hand panel but not the left (boiler in left hand corner). Would the bent open ended spanners make the job easier( the adjustable spanner heads are always very bulky- I have the 8"Bahco ).

Most probably doing this the other side of christmas.

I hope everone has a great christmas .

Kind Regards

JHarry

nickso said:
micky p said:

i think he means 280

rob884 said:
nickso said:
micky p said:

i think he means 280

yeah sorry 280. I forgot the 350 has 2 pumps. :oops: well anyway yeah 280 is a doddle. and 230 and 240 as well.

But the Worcester with the diverter in the centre along the back is definately NOT a doddle and its a non standard part just used in that model.

Tony

Agile said:
But the Worcester with the diverter in the centre along the back is definately NOT a doddle and its a non standard part just used in that model.

Tony

well i changed one in a 230 and a 240 only last week and it was 20 mins of a job. They are still a Giannoni diverter valve but with a E possition valve body. I think the ravenheat's are the F possition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back