Potterton Performa 28i not diverting from hot water to CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have a Potterton Performa 28i combi boiler with a Grasslin time switch and no thermostat (just radiator thermostats).
I have a problem during the operation of the central heating. When the central heating is on and running everything is fine and there is excellent heat from the radiators. When a user switches on the hot water it correctly diverts from the CH to the hot water. However, it sometimes has a problem diverting back to the CH. It seems to just stick on the hot water (the hot water neon stays lit) even after the hot water has been switched off and the burner goes out. I wait for maybe 10 minutes to see what happens, but the boiler just sits there with the fan spinning and with the hot water neon stuck on. If I then open a hot water tap to get the burner to fire up, and then quicky close the hot water tap, it seems to flick back to CH and everything is ok again. However, it does not always seem to be able to do this on its own, and can sometimes take a couple of manual attempts, i.e. turning hot water tap on and off to get it back to CH. This is a annoying problem, particularly at this time of the year!
I had both thermistors replaced about a year ago so it shouldn't be those. Any ideas what could be causing this?
You see when I had the thermistors replaced last year, it took a plumber 2 hours of fault finding to eventually agree with me to try those (since I consulted this site) ending with a large repair bill for very cheap components. Therefore, I would be happy to replace a component if it was a fairly simple job.
Any help welcomed. Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Check the diaphragm is not sticking

Locate the microwswitch with black and white wires.
Remove the clip holding it in place, and move the switch to one side.
with a hot tap open, observing the pin (that would have been in the switch)
open and close the mains cold water isolator
The pin should respond almost instantly to the isolator being open and closed
Or in your case probably not
:!:

Baxi Part 248734

I would guess that its a faulty hot water demand microswitch.

They are not man enough for the job!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back