Toilet not waterproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having real problems trying to install a new toilet.

There has been a persistant leak from it, which I presumed was due to me not plumbing in the waste pipes properly. It's one of these toilets with the cistern attached, and sits flush against the wall, so seeing these pipes whilst it was working was impossible. In frustration I bought an extendable flexible pipe, pulled it away from the wall and saw that this wasn't leaking at all, but it was dripping from underneath the bowl.

I raised the toilet onto some blocks, and had a good look and cannot see any cracks in the bowl. I fiddled with the cistern and flushed it a few times, and also let the overflow run constantly (it empties into the toilet bowl). Again I couldn't see any obvious leaks. What I did see however, was a slow drip right at the front of the base- there is nothing from the back. When I investigated this area of the toilet I could feel the bottom was damp- it looks/feels like the whole of that area is slightly damp. Is it possible that the toilet is not waterproof? My best guess at describing it is that it looks like this area of the toilet is porous- maybe due to poor quality manufacturing? Is this anything anyone has experienced, or is there another possibility?

I cannot return the toilet, and it fits perfectly into an awkward area. To buy a new one will cost me a couple of hundred quid- which I am desperate to avoid. I have currently disconnected it completely and am "painting" the bottom of the pan with the BAL sealer that I used to tank the ensuite in the hope of waterproofing it. I haven't tried this yet to see if it solves the problem, as I want to put on a few coats and make sure it dries really well.

Any help/ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That helps a lot. At least I now know that my DIY diagnosis isn't stupid- which I thought it might be!!

As I said, I can't return the toilet, but this might mean the BAL tanking will sort it out then- I am a bit more optimistic!

Anyone else got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If you're right, can a hairline crack be repaired? I have examined it closely, and cannot see one, so it must be very small.

Yup ive had a cistern with a hairline crack in. my head was done in! kept checking all the connections over and over.

then finally saw a small bubble from the pottery. bingo!

I did think condensation was a possibility whilst doing the overflow/flushing thing as the water was very cold, but when left overnight there was more water. Couldn't see that condensation would continue once the water in the pan reached ambient temperature. So no, I don't think it's condensation.

Thanks for the help- at least I know it's not a totally idiotic problem, but no one has mentioned fixing it yet!! Will "tanking" the underside of the pan sort it?

Thanks for that abrupt answer about fixing it!

Can I ask why it won't work? The stuff I am using is designed to stop water penetration through porous tiles and grouting- very similar to what I am trying to do here. Apparantly this stuff is suitable for tanking swimming pools. I did consider trying that stuff for fixing flat roofs- after all it's under the pan in a concealed place, so it doesn't matter if it has tar/rubber on it!

For the amount of money you will end up spending on trying different products trying to fix your problem, (which probably won't work, but you could get lucky) you might aswell get a new pan.

The choice is yours, good luck!

I apprecate that Lee- which is why I didn't buy any. I have some of the tanking fluid left over from doing the bathroom, so thought I would give it a go! It works "logically", or at least I think it does from my level of understanding- but will it work in practise is the question!! Thats why I was interested in the definitive "no!" I got from Softus. If it doesn't, it doesn't, but I do like to try understand why.

You can try and use your left over tanking fluid by all means, It could last forever or it could last five minutes. I never bother to try and repair them, i just get a replacement.

I don't know why you can't just get a replacement as you haven't answered that question, but that would be the best choice. If you want to persist in trying to repair it, then carry on doing so.

I think the real question is how long will it last for? (which no one can answer) hence get a new one

May I ask where you got it from? Theres a lot of crap about these days usually in the form of imported products.
I recently had a problem with a tecaz cistern that wasnt formed correctly around the o/flow pipe connection. When the customer took it back to Tecaz for a replacement it turned out that 6 out of the 7 left in stock had the same fault.
I did tell him I was charging extra for fitting their crap but he went ahead and bought it anyway!

The other point I have to make is that sometimes the glaze doesnt form properly on the pot which leaves it in a porous condition.

Another real joy for plumbers :confused: and it's happening more and more with this cheap imported bilge that they are selling oh so cheaply at these low cost bathroom places that seem to be popping up all over the place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back