Boilermate ii gledhill boiler buzzing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a boilermate ii that is 7 years old and gives an annoying 15sec buz intermittantly. I was thinking of getting British Gas boiler cover, but it appears that this problem is common amongst Wimpey Home dwelllers. I have been told to change the controller cards (PCB), but the quotes I am getting are some £80 and above - is this correct? Has the problem been adequately diagnosed, or should I seek expert guidance?

Sponsored Links
Jeet said:
Hi i have a boilermate ii that is 7 years old and gives an annoying 15sec buz intermittantly. I was thinking of getting British Gas boiler cover, but it appears that this problem is common amongst Wimpey Home dwelllers. I have been told to change the controller cards (PCB), but the quotes I am getting are some £80 and above - is this correct? Has the problem been adequately diagnosed, or should I seek expert guidance?

on the boilermate 1 its usually the pump pcb that does it....ive never actually found a reason for the pump pcb though as it appears to do nothing.

not sure if this is the same fault on the boilermate 2 but its a good chance it is.

you will have to bite the bullet one way or another if you cant live with it.

nickso said:
Jeet said:

on the boilermate 1 its usually the pump pcb that does it....ive never actually found a reason for the pump pcb though as it appears to do nothing.

not sure if this is the same fault on the boilermate 2 but its a good chance it is.

The pump PCB believe it or not controls the pump!!

Its gives the pump an over run period, required by the boilermate to stop it getting too hot.

HarrogateGas said:
nickso said:
Jeet said:

The pump PCB believe it or not controls the pump!!

Its gives the pump an over run period, required by the boilermate to stop it getting too hot.

funny cos i ran mine without for 4 years with no faults......and still none as far as i know after moving out 3 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Well Ive run my combi with the overheat stat linked out for the last 7 years, never given me any trouble.

Doesnt mean its right though does it??

Im sure Gledhill dont put on a pump control pcb for fun now do you?

HarrogateGas said:
Well Ive run my combi with the overheat stat linked out for the last 7 years, never given me any trouble.

Doesnt mean its right though does it??

Im sure Gledhill dont put on a pump control pcb for fun now do you?

didnt say it was right.

Hi,

I'm having the same problem... Boilermate 2, buzzing annoyingly.

Which PCB did you replace? Any complications? Did it work? Where did you get the PCB from?

Thanks,

Glyn

pump pcb

about £50.

it will stop the buzzing.

Hi thanks for the reply...

I had a closer look at it when I got home tonight... I think both PCBs are screwed. We have the "every so often it buzzes for 2-3 secs" problem, but we also have another problem... when we run hot water or the heating for a while, when the boiler shuts itself down, we get buzzing for a good 20mins or so. The second PCB (the delay timer) has the same component on it. I think it's this relay that is the problem on both boards. If I had a soldering iron, i'd just replace those bits but I don't.

Reading the Technical Manual from Gledhill's website, it seems the Pump Drive PCB comes on every 40hrs for 2-3 secs, and the delay timer comes on when the boiler shuts down to draw water out the boiler into the storage tank. We turned the heating up last night and the buzzing came on at about 2am and stayed on for 30mins. We obivously couldn't turn it off it was a cold night.

So seeing as we're skint (wedding), I've ordered a new Delay Timer PCB to solve the 30 mins of buzzing and meanwhile we'll put up with the 2-3secs every 40hrs until after the wedding.

Hope I'm right and I haven't thrown £65 down the drain (no pun intended).

Thanks again.

the easiest way to tell which one is noisy is to remove cover and carefully because theres obviously mains leccy there put a screwdriver your ear and to the relay as well. lets you hear which one it is as its sometimes difficult to tell just looking at them.

if you are skint due to wedding nonsense you had better check first mate :LOL:

Yeah, that was my check that I did this evening when I got home. I took the cover off after the Fiancee had a shower. It was hard to tell which PCB was buzzing, but I placed my finger on each of the black relays and it was definately the lower PCB (delay timer) that was buzzing. At one point it did sound like both were buzzing (for a couple secs believe it or not) but I wasn't quick enough to check.

Anyway, should get the part this week sometime so will let you know how it goes next week (for the sake of others who might have this problem).

Done tons of these on Boilermate 2 s , nearly always the delay timer buzzing, thats the bottom one, it activates when a demand is asked of the boiler and its pump overrun after temp satisfied then the buzzing stops ....... For some reason nearly all of these are installed in bedroom cupboards !!! how annoying is that buzz in the middle of the night!

The problem and solution is really quite simple, and incredibly cheap if you can wield a soldering iron. The issue is not the relay itself, but the rather crude power supply. There is a 22uF electrolytic capacitor which smooths out the 50Hz from the mains, which due to the high temperature it is constantly exposed to, has dried out, and consequently is no longer doing a very good job. The buzzing noise is the relay being switched on and off 50 times a second - which isn't very good for the pump. Maplin supply suitable electrolytics that are rated for high temperatures - so should last a few years longer. I suspect that replacement boards will develop the same symptoms over time. I've replaced all the electrolytics in both boards for around 50p[/img]

In the end I replaced the PCB (delay timer i think) which stopped the hour-long buzzing after using hot water. It still buzzes intermittently every 40 hours or so, which will be the pump pcb. But we can live with that.

Regards,

Glyn

The problem and solution is really quite simple, and incredibly cheap if you can wield a soldering iron. The issue is not the relay itself, but the rather crude power supply. There is a 22uF electrolytic capacitor which smooths out the 50Hz from the mains, which due to the high temperature it is constantly exposed to, has dried out, and consequently is no longer doing a very good job. The buzzing noise is the relay being switched on and off 50 times a second - which isn't very good for the pump. Maplin supply suitable electrolytics that are rated for high temperatures - so should last a few years longer. I suspect that replacement boards will develop the same symptoms over time. I've replaced all the electrolytics in both boards for around 50p[/img]

Old as the topic may be, I just want to thank DIYnot and in particular the above member for the advice. My delay timer relay went haywire this morning generating a most awful buzzing noise. Armed with Google and keywords I came across the above and today being Sunday the earliest opportunity for me to get a replacement PCB would have been Tuesday, so I thought "what the heck, I'll give this a try". Fast forward an hour later (I had to cycle into town ;)) I had both capacitors sourced and replaced. Put it all back together and switched on the mains... No more buzzing!

And that for only 55p and a bit of my time:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back