Radiator problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We had a radiator in our kitchen extension that seemed to work fine but wasn't warming the kitchen up properly as it was a very small radiator.

We decided to put in a larger radiator which my father-in-law fitted. That worked fine up until one day when we switched it off at the valve. When we tried to switch it back on it wouldn't warm up. The very top of the radiator was luke warm and the rest was cold. The pipe running into the radiator is cold but the one running out of it, back into the system is hot.

Now, i'm not an expert in plumbing or heating but I do know that my father-in-law tried the following to solve the problem:

- Checked that the valve isn't stuck on off.
- totally flushed out the radiator (it's quite new) to make sure there's no sludge in it.
- When we flushed it out and re-filled it the water going in was really hot and stayed like that for about 5 minutes, but then the cold came in.

It seems to me that, for some reason that it's out of the loop as it's an extension. i've just tried to turn off all radiators but that doesn't do anything.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
shuker said:
Checked that the valve isn't stuck on off.
How did you do this?

When we flushed it out and re-filled it the water going in was really hot
Did you check the hot water arrived at the flow end, i.e. which valve was open while you were venting?

...and stayed like that for about 5 minutes, but then the cold came in.
The cold what came in where?

i've just tried to turn off all radiators but that doesn't do anything.
In that case you have either a closed valve or a blockage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back