2 way dimmer switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all.

I've purchase a new 2 way dimmer switch from Homebase (60-250 W 200-240V) but the wiring diagram is confusing me. So I here try to explain what I have.

Living room with one central ceiling light controlled by two light switches.

Switch One (main entrance) has an existing dimmer switch which I wish to replace with the new dimmer switch. This existing switch has a very quiet buzz (which I presume is OK) but when turned right up the bulb (normal 60 watts bulb) flickers. This is why I wish to replace the dimmer switch.

I have disconnected the main supply and am a 56-year-old sensible person.

The old dimmer switch is plastic. The wall back box is metal, emitting a cable containing 4 wires and is connected to the existing dimmer switch as follows:

L1 - Red wire
L2 - Blue wire
C - Yellow wire
The forth wire is yellow and green and is connected to the metal back box.

Switch Two has a plastic wall back box and has three connection holes on the back of the switch. Top, L1 & L2. One cable emitting 6 wires enters the back of the box and are connect as follows:

Top hole - One yellow wire
L1 hole - Two red wires
L2 hole - One red wire and one blue wire
The sixth wire is a yellow and green wire, which is screwed into a nylon connection block. This block is not connected to anything.

The new Homebase dimmer switch has 3 holes. (left to right) One with a wavy line and arrow, L2 and L1

It's the wavy line - arrow icon and the wiring diagram that has confused me.

How do I wire this please. Many thanks for your time.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Thank you breezer.

I didn't think it would be as simple as that. I've been reading your posts this evening after finding this forum and as usual I'm amazed at the amount of stuff I don't know :( Thanks again.

Tom

no problem, there is also a lot of info in the wiki, and here (including a picture of a switch like yours

Sponsored Links
Tom Brown said:
Thank you breezer.

I didn't think it would be as simple as that. I've been reading your posts this evening after finding this forum and as usual I'm amazed at the amount of stuff I don't know :( Thanks again.

Tom
as they say, a little knowledge can be more dangerous than no knowledge (though i'm sure "they" say it more eloquently that this, i'll just lean out the window and ask them)

crafty1289 said:
as they say, a little knowledge can be more dangerous than no knowledge (though i'm sure "they" say it more eloquently that this, i'll just lean out the window and ask them)

sorry to correct you, but its not "they" who are outside the window.

its "most people" who are out side the window

breezer said:
sorry to correct you, but its not "they" who are outside the window.

its "most people" who are out side the window
of course, i remember now. "they" are the people he meets in the woods who talk in a funny accent wearing woolly jumpers, and asks them "are you "they"?" Most people are the crowd outside the window, he shouts down to them, "most people?" they reply "yes?" Something like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back