** New builds and still fitting conventional boilers **

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
More of a building regs issue really, but some of you guys who install may have a definative answer.

I'm very unfortunate to have a new Persimmon Home, and even more unfortunate to have a Glow Worm Micron 50FF (Yes, its on it's second board in 6months).

The house build began in 2006 and completed in June 2006, so the install point was around May 2006. As there can be no realistic exception made for not fitting the required SEDBUK A or B rated unit, how are the developers getting around this issue? I have read the documents and appendix but every time I get to a different understanding :D

There is mention about if approvals predate April05 that the install can go ahead with less than class A/B boilers so long as work was completed before June05, but that's the only exception apart from the obvious that I can see.

It was suggested to me by a heating fitter today, Persimmon are saying that as planning consent & approvals etc predate the new Part L, that they can still fit conventional SEDBUK 'D' boilers even six months ago.

Anyone have any thoughts? Those of you in the trade will understand why I want it out and a nice new Vaillant condenser in it's place!

Thanks in advance,
Steve.
Somerset UK.

Sponsored Links
Although I generally have faith in BCOs, and have a lot of good things to say about them, my experience with new builds leads me to conclude that there is come corruption.

For example, I recently accompanied a friend to the completion handover of a new flat, and we saw the earth bonding wire lying coiled up next to the gas meter outside, but were told that a building certificate had been issued. :rolleyes:

I also do a lot of maintenance on a nearby site, completed 2 years ago, and there are plenty of examples of things that should never have been passed.

I get the feeling that large developers can do whatever they like and the building will still be signed off.

Yes, a few dubious accounts around here tbh.
Thanks for the swift reply, didn't expect many people to be up and about at this time of night on xmas :D

Not sure how to tackle this one really. Local BC officers I guess after the holidays. Only came to light following a boiler breakdown, it's been a long time since I did any loking at the regs.... Part L passed me by, unlike the part p LOL.

Have a nice holiday,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound right does it? You should get that changed or write a piece on corruption for the local rag, but don't ever expect to get planning approval yourself in that area. That would be normal anyway you have to be a big firm to gain planning consent, small people are just knocked back every time and new estates in far less appropriate places are springing up like Zeberdee.

They say that if a developer got Planning and Building Regs approval before April 2005 then they could carry on building the homes to that specification after the deadline.

As far as I am aware the three months grace was for individual installers to cover the gap between quoting for a job before the deadline and the job actually going ahead a little later.

I still see a band D every few weeks being installed mostly but not always by the non registered for landlords. Since no body polices which boiler has been fitted they get away with it. If you point it out to the installers they just say that if the boilers are still on sale they will continue fitting them as its a cheaper option.

Tony

as some of you know im a service engineer for baxi, and im going out to warrantry jobs on standard efficiency every few days. i went out to a 3 week old baxi bermuda the other day fitted on grvity hot water....

i also go to a lot of new builds with S/E boilers in...

If they try and sell these places in a few years the buyers solicitor is going to make a right nuicance of him/her self. I wouldn't have a non complient boiler fitted in my house. To the original poster I would try and sue the builder for loss of resale value. Nobody with any sense would touch the place unless you upgrade the heating to current standards. The planner and the local council who aproved the plans had plenty of warning that these rules were coming in.

apparently with the new builds, if the drawings were done pre change over date, then there ok. and as the drawings for new build sites are done well in advance there ok....

Its a legal loophole they all slid quite happily through. You can't break laws that are not in force. They got approval early, planning cannot force you to obey laws that don't exist. They are therefore perfectly legal installations, not within the spirit of subsequent/proposed legislation, but the developers don't give a monkeys about that. Solicitors for purchasers will ask the question, as they should, but the answer is perfectly valid, if morally dubious.

Mrs A. was energy efficiency officer for this lovely county for three years, and came across it all the time during the changeover period. I quite like Glow Worm Microns, didn't think they still had PCB problems, but there you go..live and learn.

And why are merchants still selling band "D" and below boilers..again, because its not illegal to sell one..its illegal to install one..Nonsense isn't it.

Alfredo

Merchants are still selling band D boilers because they can legally be fitted in about 1% of homes and they can be fitted in shops, offices and workshops etc. as the law decided to exclude those type of property.

But the bigest reason is that the unregistered are still buying them in what I find to be about 6-7% of cases. This is also helped by price cutting to clear them from stock.

I have received two calls from householders who bought them and wanted us to fit them. I advised them to buy a complient boiler and sell the band D on Ebay where someone will buy anything.

Tony

Well, thanks for all the input. Just something a little different from the 'my drop valve is leaking' posts :D

Its hardly a big consideration at purchase time. A boiler at a grand is small potatoes amoungst several hundred thou of house purchase. I'll nurse it along till the cover runs out in 18months, and if the footings are still good, I'll stump up for a Condenser and keep the house ;)

Steve

also if the house has mulitiple occupancy of more than 6 people then you dont have to register with gas work notification and can fit standard efficiency boilers because the dwelling doesnt fit into the domestic rules for building regs ask corgi technical, i wanted to register a boiler and was told i didnt have to as it was classed as a non domestic setting ie oap home nursing home etc

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
phone up corgi and ask if you think im wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back