Speaker cable sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to install sokcets on either side on my currently open chimney breast so that after is alkl plastered up I will be able to have the hi-fi on one side of breast, and speakerts on the the other. Are such sockets available? And what kind of plug / socket is best? I'm thinking co-axiel, but the speaker cable is really thick and co-ax cable always seems so flimsy . .

thanks for any ideas .

huey

Sponsored Links
I would consider using something like these:-
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1010&criteria=sockets&doy=31m12
mounted on these:-
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1239&criteria=blank&doy=31m12

You are probably talking about screened cable rather than coaxial. They are similar in appearance, but designed for different purposes.
You can probably find some appropriate cable to hook everything up with on the same site:-
http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx...nu=y&criteria=AUDIO CABLE&doy=31m12&worldid=2

Sponsored Links
if its just for speakers then run heavy gauge speaker cable figure "8" stuff

u can use sunken back boxes with blank plates and attach any type of conector u wish by drilling out holes in them and fittinng sockets from maplins although they do make plates with certain common type conectors already

If you're gonna use those phono sockets, don't forget to drill a 6.3mm dia hole, not 63mm!!!

If you care about audio quality the speaker cable should be continuous from the amp to the speaker. A blanking plate with a grommet in it is therefore a better solution.

thanks - thats what my hi-fi buff mate said too, but think I'll go for the gold plated plugs and sockets as it'll be neater if I ever move the hi-fi, sell the flat, whatever . . thanks for all input . .

Huey

Phono plugs/sockets are low level signal connectors, they NOT designed to handle the sort of currents needed for anything other than a very low power speaker feed, which can peak at several amps.

They have a tendency to loosen over time and their contact resistance is not good, which results in distortion when high current flow due to voltage drop on the connector. Whether you, personally, can hear that or not is another matter, of course.

If you are using decent (2.5mm or more) speaker cable, I'd suggest that the Neutrik Speakon is by far the best choice. It is the standard in the pro audio world for very good reasons.

thanks for this - I've decided to go for the speakon connectors . . .what cable should I use to connect it up? I'd like to order everyting from the Maplins site in one go . . .

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back