Wall tiles in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Hope someone can help here. I am a female trying to do something for myself !!

I have taken some old wall tiles off in the kitchen with the intention of re-tiling the walls. The wall is now covered with adhesive which has not come off. In some places the plaster that has been skimmed onto the walls has come away.

Firstly, what is the easiest way of getting the old adhesive off, or is it just a matter of chipping away with a chisel.

Secondly, does it matter that some of the thin layer of plaster has come away. Will I need to get it re-plastered before tiling.

Once I have a good wall, I am okay with the tiling, having previously tiled a bathroom and a kitchen, but there were no old tiles on there to take off.

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Sandra x

Sponsored Links
I always end up using a club hammer and 4" bolster - gives you some meaty forearms though! :eek:

The alternative is something you probably won't want to spend money on just for this job, but an SDS Plus drill with rotary stop and a chisel bit will get the old stuff off very quickly.

Regarding the patches of finish plaster that have come away - don't give them a second thought. In fact, if you identify any loose plaster anywhere (sounds hollow when tapped lightly with something metallic) then you should remove that too.

Then, before tiling, bind the walls with a primer - this will prevent the adhesive that soaks into the plaster from causing it to separate under the surface.

Many thanks Softus. Just to make sure I get it right :

What does a club hammer look like ?

What sort of primer should I use ? :confused:

DiyCompleteNovice said:
What does a club hammer look like ?
This kind of thing:
p3438005_l.jpg

and for completeness, here's a bolster:
p3800540_l.jpg

What sort of primer should I use ?
Er, a suitable one. There are two schools of thought - (1) PVA-based is OK and (2) PVA-based is not OK.

BAL primer:
2037-103.jpg

...is bound to work, so you could stick to that (pun intended). :D

Sponsored Links
If the old adhesive was the premixed type (usually white or grey) then you're best removing it from the walls with one of these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=16530&ts=01020
You can get them anywhere. The replacement blades cost pennies and the adhesive literally flies off the walls. Pretty useful for removing wallpaper too. ;)
I'd have no qualms in using pva in a kitchen.

:D Thanks very much Softus for the pics. I did know what a bolster was like but not a club hammer.

GCOL :D Went to the web site to look at wallpaper remover and believe it or not, I do have one. Yes, it is great for removing wallpaper. will give it a go on the adhesive.

Many thanks to you both. Having to do the jobs on my own it is very good that I can get input from elsewhere. You're great !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back