Pressure loss in central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm hoping that someone can provide some advice. We recently (November) had a new boiler fitted, an Alpha CB25HE. Subsequent to this, we've had a problem with the pressure in the CH system dropping rapidly, and having to be topped off maybe 3-4 times a day. Obviously, I know this is NOT a good thing. We've had an engineer out, whose opinion was, unsurprisingly, "you've got a leak, mate". There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the the pressure vessel, as we've, not placcy bagged, but stuck tissue paper in the pipe (don't laugh, that was the engineer's idea) and that's stayed put and is bone dry. We've topped up the system and bled the radiators, but that hasn't helped. The engineer states that we have to pull up most of the floor to locate the leak. I'm REALLY reluctant to do that, since we've just had quite a lot of the flooring re-done, and I don't want to completely trash the oak floorboards in the rest. Scouring the forum, I noted that one poster stated that there are firms that can locate a leak through things like IR and gas diffusion, albeit at a cost. Is anyone familiar with such companies, please? Could someone give me details? Many thanks.

Nick

Sponsored Links
You have my sympathy Nick, we have exactly the same problem. We have concrete floors and the Gas Board Engineer says the only way to find the leak is to dig up the floors. We've decided to have surface pipes fitted, and have someone coming next week to give us a price.
Like you, we've had new carpets fitted, so we're not very happy. :cry:

Thanks, sickas, and that's a good suggestion, corgiman, I'll look into that immediately. Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I've actually been looking at getting hold of a borescope and using that to try finding the leak. Might avoid actually ripping up the floor that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back