by law if changing boiler does it have to b a condesing 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i currently have a old b.gas boiler the heat exchanger has gone and boiler is aout 15 yr old so could do with change . is it law now to have to put in a condesing boiler? any help.

Sponsored Links
depends on the situation but generally yes. iff u have a back boiler at present in a flat then u can replace but a proper scoring system needs to checked . supply more info

it is not a back boiler just normal system boiler. not sure weather to go for combi and put in loft or keep cylinder but can you put a system boiler in the loft which will be above the cylinder.? which would be best?

Yes u can put a system boiler in a loft u just have to take precautions against frost as if it were in a garage but it will have to be condensing. there are also requirements for good access,flooring & lighting for srvice & repairs. Its also a good idea to ask for a pressure gauge & filling loop to be fitted with the cylinder to make checking & toping up easier.

Sponsored Links
the pressure gauge? the old system i have is open vent so would not need that if was to just replace the boiler. as not sealed or unvented. also the condesing pipe is it stillok to be normal overflow size? i heard somewhere that now once it goes outside it has to be in 1 1/4 to protect from frost?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
oh earlier i assume the heat exchange has gone/ on way out boiler makes hell of a sound like boiling water ( as if it is projucing air.) no air in systyem though.

MOD 2

use the edit key

Welcome back from the space station, while you were away orbiting the earth condensing boilers were all but made mandatory except in so few qualifying cases not worth mention, and the people who seek qualification to not comply must be deranged anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back