** New Boiler Advice Please **

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of questions for plumbers who may frequent this site.

I currently have a conventional boiler fitted with a hot water cylinder and header tank (All fitted in the loft), I also have a pump which supplies my shower, this is a shower plus body and neck jets which can be used instead of the shower head and was only fitted approx 12 months ago.

Now my questions are :-

1. Will a new combi boiler work my existing shower once the pump as been removed ?

2. Also, I was thinking about a new worcester bosch combi boiler (or alternative if recommended), this way I can have hot water on demand and hopefully reduce my massive gas bills. Can you recommend anywhere I can buy the boiler at a good price ?

Any advice will be welcome

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
You need to see what the flow rate required is. Its most unlikely any combi will supply the shower.

You can have a combi to feed say the kitchen hot tap and still heat the existing cylinder.

You will not save any gas apart from 10-20% by having a condensing boiler.

Tony

I'd like to be pointed to the research that demonstrates instant hot water saves fuel.

My advice stick a regular boiler or system boiler in, upgrade cylinder to bs1566 if it isn't already, many are these days.

Paul Barker said:
I'd like to be pointed to the research that demonstrates instant hot water saves fuel.

My advice is stick a regular boiler or system boiler in, upgrade cylinder to bs1566 if it isn't already, many are these days.

The US department of Energy put on-demand water heaters (instant) as saving fuel over stored water. Instant water heaters in the US as seen as "green".

A high flow combi will do. Aplha cd50 is a high flow.

Sponsored Links
The US department of Energy put on-demand water heaters (instant) as saving fuel over stored water. Instant water heaters in the US as seen as "green".

1 we aint in the us

2 that shots all your sludge buckets are good theorys to **** :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Alternative is install an unvented hot water cylinder. You will need a registered installer.

Hot water delivery will not be a problem. You will retain boiler simplicity, independent water heating facility in case your simple boiler breaks down and will not have pressure related problem associated with sealed system boilers.

Combi boilers while look good, do breakdown a lot more, hence I am busy repairing these all the year around. Do not expect high flow rate from a combi. When the combi breaks down, it might not give you heating or hot water.

Have seen big combis fitted to inadequate gas lines. This means a big combi that promises reasonable flowrate, but fails as gas line cannot deliver.

Whats the difference between a vented and un-vented hot water cylinder ???

mgallagher said:

About 3 times as much cost to fit and buy. No better in a 4 story Victorian house like mine where gravity can push water through a 3/4" pipe at 30 litres a minute.

Water Systems said:

And where exactly were those weapons of mass destruction?

Is this the only field where no proper research is done? First job I've had where people get away with making broad statements about this is more efficient than that with no proper references such as the Oxford Referencing system, which in any published work in any other field would have to be amassed...

Oh the US government says so. Oh good, that's a step up from the combi salesman at least.

Paul Barker said:
mgallagher said:

About 3 times as much cost to fit and buy. No better in a 4 story Victorian house like mine where gravity can push water through a 3/4" pipe at 30 litres a minute.

If the tank is in the loft and the shower is on the ground floor, you still only get around 1 bar if that.

Paul Barker said:
Water Systems said:

And where exactly were those weapons of mass destruction?

Is this the only field where no proper research is done? First job I've had where people get away with making broad statements about this is more efficient than that with no proper references

At least have the sense to look at their web site, DOE.

Oh the US government says so. Oh good, that's a step up from the combi salesman at least.

Stop the insults.

Water Systems said:
If the tank is in the loft and the shower is on the ground floor, you still only get around 1 bar if that.

I quoted flow rate. Why would I want 1 bar? I can run a bath quicker than any combi on the market. If I want a fast shower I'll use a Trevis Boost thanks.
What haven't you got any published research for your wild gueses about efficiency?

Paul Barker said:
Water Systems said:

I quoted flow rate. Why would I want 1 bar? I can run a bath quicker than any combi on the market. If I want a fast shower I'll use a Trevis Boost thanks.
What haven't you got any published research for your wild gueses about efficiency?

Using 28mm pipe all the way to a bath a two floor house can have an excellent flow rate - but the shower is dire. A 1 bar shower is not much at all and in your house if the shower is on the upper floor the pressure will be much lower.

A Trevi Boost (which I like) will help, however these tend to be troublesome in hard water areas with scale collecting on the innards. And the mixer need parameters to work within - outside and no joy.

I gave you the web site, so don't be lazy and have a look. Learn to use Google:

This is from the US Department of Energy. They call instant water heaters (as a combi or multi-point is) "tankless". They refer to a "cylinder" as a tank. NOTE!!! They are talking of 20% increased efficiency over stored water. Some US gas
companies have reported 30% increase in efficiency.

Read on:------

Demand (Tankless) Water Heaters

Water heating accounts for 20% or more of an average household's annual energy expenditures. The yearly operating costs for conventional gas or electric storage tank water heaters average $200 or $450, respectively. Storage tank-type water heaters raise and maintain the water temperature to the temperature setting on the tank (usually between 120(-140(F (49(-60(C). The heater does this even if no hot water is drawn from the tank (and cold water enters the tank). This is due to "standby losses": the heat conducted and radiated from the walls of the tank-and in gas-fired water heaters-through the flue pipe. These standby losses represent 10% to 20% of a household's annual water heating costs. One way to reduce this expenditure is to use a demand (also called "tankless" or "instantaneous") water heater.

Demand water heaters are common in Japan and Europe. They began appearing in the United States about 25 years ago. Unlike "conventional" tank water heaters, tankless water heaters heat water only as it is used, or on demand. A tankless unit has a heating device that is activated by the flow of water when a hot water valve is opened. Once activated, the heater delivers a constant supply of hot water. The output of the heater, however, limits the rate of the heated water flow.

Gas and Electric Demand Water Heaters

Demand water heaters are available in propane (LP), natural gas, or electric models. They come in a variety of sizes for different applications, such as a whole-house water heater, a hot water source for a remote bathroom or hot tub, or as a boiler to provide hot water for a home heating system. They can also be used as a booster for dishwashers, washing machines, and a solar or wood-fired domestic hot water system.

You may install a demand water heater centrally or at the point of use, depending on the amount of hot water required. For example, you can use a small electric unit as a booster for a remote bathroom or laundry. These are usually installed in a closet or underneath a sink. The largest gas units, which may provide all the hot water needs of a household, are installed
centrally. Gas-fired models have a higher hot water output than electric models. As with many tank water heaters, even the largest whole house tankless gas models cannot supply enough hot water for simultaneous, multiple uses of hot water (i.e., showers and laundry). Large users of hot water, such as the clothes washer and dishwasher, need to be operated
separately. Alternatively, separate demand water heaters can be installed to meet individual hot water loads, or two or more water heaters can be connected in parallel for simultaneous demands for hot water. Some manufacturers of tankless heaters claim that their product can match the performance of any 40 gallon (151 liter) tank heater.

Selecting a Demand Water Heater

Select a demand water heater based on the maximum amount of hot water to meet your peak demand. Use the following assumptions on water flow for various appliances to find the size of unit that is right for your purposes:

Faucets: 0.75 gallons (2.84 liters) to 2.5 gallons (9.46 liters) per minute. Low-flow showerheads: 1.2 gallons (4.54 liters) to 2 gallons (7.57 liters) per minute. Older standard shower heads: 2.5 gallons (9.46 liters) to 3.5 gallons (13.25
liters) per minute. Clothes washers and dishwashers: 1 gallon (3.79 liters) to 2 gallons (7.57 liters) per minute.

Unless you know otherwise, assume that the incoming potable water temperature is 50(F (10(C). You will want your water heated to 120(F (49(C) for most uses, or 140(F (60(C) for dishwashers without internal heaters. To determine how much of a temperature rise you need, subtract the incoming
water temperature from the desired output temperature. In this example, the needed rise is 70(F (21(C).

List the number of hot water devices you expect to have open at any one time, and add up their flow rates. This is the desired flow rate for the demand water heater. Select a manufacturer that makes such a unit. Most demand water heaters are rated for a variety of inlet water temperatures.
Choose the model of water heater that is closest to your needs.

As an example, assume the following conditions: One hot water faucet open with a flow rate of 0.75 gallons (2.84 liters) per minute. One person bathing using a shower head with a flow rate of 2.5 gallons (9.46 liters) per minute. Add the two flow rates together. If the inlet water temperature is 50(F (10(C), the needed flow rate through the demand water heater would need to be no greater than 3.25 gallons (12.3 liters) per minute. Faster flow rates or cooler inlet temperatures will reduce the water temperature at the most distant faucet. Using low-flow showerheads and water-conserving faucets are a good idea with demand water heaters.

Some types of tankless water heaters are thermostatically controlled. They can vary their output temperature according to the water flow rate and the inlet water temperature. This is useful when using a solar water heater for preheating the inlet water. If, using the above example, you connect this same unit to the outlet of a solar system, it only has to raise the water temperature a few degrees more, if at all, depending on the amount of solar gain that day.

Cost

Demand water heaters cost more than conventional storage tank-type units. Small point-of-use heaters that deliver 1 gallon (3.8 liters) to 2 gallons (7.6 liters) per minute sell for about $200. Larger gas-fired tankless units that deliver 3 gallons (11.4 liters) to 5 gallons (19 liters) per minute
cost $550-$1000.

The appeal of demand water heaters is not only the elimination of the standby losses and the resulting lower operating costs, but also the fact that the heater delivers hot water continuously. Gas models with a standing (constantly burning) pilot light, however, offset the savings achieved by the elimination of standby losses with the energy consumed by the pilot light. Moreover, much of the heat produced by the pilot light of a tank-type water heater heats the water in the tank; most of this heat is not used productively in a demand water heater. The exact cost of operating the pilot light will depend on the design of the heater and price of gas, but could
range from $12 to $20 per year. Ask the manufacturer of the unit how much gas the pilot light uses for the models you consider. It is a common practice in Europe to turn off the pilot light when the unit is not in use.

An alternative to the standing pilot light is an intermittent ignition device (IID). This resembles the spark ignition device on some gas kitchen ranges and ovens. Not all demand water heaters have this electrical device. You should check with the manufacturer for models that have this feature.

Life Expectancy

Most tankless models have a life expectancy of more than 20 years. In contrast, storage tank water heaters last 10 to 15 years. Most tankless models have easily replaceable parts that can extend their life by many years more.

Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Clearinghouse (EREC)
P.O. Box 3048 Merrifield, VA 22116
Voice: 1-800-DOE-EREC
E-mail: [email protected]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back