Tile adhesive not drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently (2 weeks ago) tiled a bathroom and I am now finding the tiles are not sticking, I can easily prise them off, they are coming off quite cleanly, the adhesive (Cerafix) is remaining on the wall and leaving the tile virtualy free of adhesive. The pattern of the back of the tile is left in the adhesive, so it looks as if the tiles have been well bedded into the adhesive. The remaining adhesive is still moist and can be scraped off the wall. The wall is old plaster which is in good condition and was primed with a 5 parts water to 1 part PVA solution prior to tiling.
I have tiled a kitchen and bathroom in the past without problems and this came as quite a shock as it looks as if the job may have to be redone.
Before I start I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply, I was also thinking the adhesive may be at fault, I will contact the makers after the new-year.

not an expert. but could it have anything to do with the weather? If it has been raining or damp for a while (winter ya know)...could that have an impact on 'setting up' time? just curious. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hello Shedman

2 weeks ago + primed with a 5 parts water to 1 part PVA solution

I wouldnt say its the adhesive due too the 2week time ...
its you PVA'ed

the problem is a lot of mudmix / adhesive does NOT adhere /dry too PVA
FACT ....sorry but you shouldnt of pva'ed :(

Good post Moz, I wish people would learn PVA is not the Universal Medicinal Compound (might as well dip your wick in it too ) :LOL:

Hello and a happy new year to all.
It's not the PVA as one wall was not PVA'd and the problem is still happening on that wall also.
I checked yesterday and I can push a blade into the adhesive under the tiles due to the adhesive being moist, I'm pretty certain I am going to have to re-do the whole thing, the only good thing about it is the adhesive is still soft and should be easilly removed.
What I think will be wise is to try only a couple of tiles with a different adhesive to make sure it drys out before I get cracking on and complete the job.
In the meanwhile I will contact the makers as soon as they reopen after the New Year holiday.

It's obvious that it's nothing to do with PVA.

It's also a waste of time contacting the manufacturer - take the stuff back to the supplier and explain, and they should have no problem replacing it.

The fault rate I see with pre-mixed adhesive is around 5% - then I got in the habit of opening tubs before carrying them away.

I've recommended Cerafix on here before now. However, I've had the same experience with it as Shedman a few months back so I can agree that it's down to the adhesive. I don't know whether they've changed the manufacture of it recently, but I do know it ain't no good any more.

Hello all, I have phoned the makers and they assured me the pva would not make any difference, they say the adhesive dries by the water absorbing into the surrounding surfaces eg the plaster and thro. the gaps between the tiles.
They have sent me a container to send them a sample of adhesive and also a tile, this was done today, I removed a further tile yesterday and the adhesive under it still is damp after over 3 weeks which makes me agree with gcol it may well be the adhesive. Anyway I await with bated breath to see what Cerafix has to say.
I'll let you all know as soon as they reply.

Yeah Shedman please keep us informed about their response. Feel free to contact me if you need any assistance.

Can I suggest that you put a humidifier in the bath room .I would think that the adhesive will dry over two or three day. If water or condensation is getting behind the tiles, the adhesive will never dry. The adhesive will go soft anyway even after it has dried if it gets wet again. That’s how I get old tiles off the wall. Put water down the back off them and let them sock. They come off a treat and it doesn’t take the plaster of the wall.

Softus said:
The fault rate I see with pre-mixed adhesive is around 5% - then I got in the habit of opening tubs before carrying them away.

Just out of interest Softus, what do you look for when checking them in store? i am due to buy some this weekend. is it easy to tell if a tub is no good?

does it make a difference what type of tile he is using.

My porcelain tiles with premix tub of mud was still soft after a month. Some bits had started to dry around the edge of the tile, but i was still soft in the middle. i Scraped it all off and used Bal rapid set and its dry within a few hours and still there last time i looked.

Hi all, I received a reply from the manufacturers today, according to them, there is no fault with the adhesive (surprise).
The sent me a photo of a tile stuck to a wall (not the tile I sent to them) with a covering letter basically saying they have tested the adhesive and it is up to spec but as a goodwill gesture they are willing to give me a free tub of adhesive (woopy).
What I will now do is strip back all the tiles in the shower area which is not too bad as the tiles come off so easilly and remove the adhesive, again not too bad as it is still moist, then I will re-tile the shower using a different adhesive, I may try Bal rapid set as recomended by alexhayes, I will certainly not be using Cerafix as I am not willing to risk repeating this fiasco.
The remaining tiles I will leave as this is too big a job to repeat, if in the future there are any more loose ones, I will replace re-stick them using a different adhesive.
Thanks for all your help, it's good to know that all this advice is available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back