Cooker Extractor Fan - Troubleshooting Tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I\\\'m trying to work out why the extractor fan above the cooker has stopped working.

The kitchen was fitted by a previous owner, but I\\\'m presuming that the \\\'fuse box\\\' below the extractor unit is the correct one to check and the 3amp fuse in there looks fine (in fact I exchanged it to make sure). I can\\\'t follow the wiring to as it is all tiled in between this fuse box and the extractor unit.

The extractor unit panels look pretty difficult to take off and I haven\\\'t been successful so far.

Is there anything simple I should be checking - inside or outside the house - before I start burrowing into the unit and looking for loose connections?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that switch is the one for the extract fan? If you assume it makes an ass out of u and me!
I have been to a number of non-op extract fans only to find the isolator is in a cupboard and someone has bushed a box of Shreddies onto the switch and it has turned off.
Well worth the call-out charge that sort of thing!!

If your sure the FCU is the right one, check the supply is leaving the FCU (with a voltage tester or multimeter not a neon screwdriver). If its OK there then test where the cable comes into the extract fan. If you've got power there then there's a fault with the fan.
TTC

most extractor fans come with a moulded plug and if a bulb blows it sometimes takes the fuse with it normally the closest one, i would check if there is a plug some where either above your units or in the flu its self, replace that fuse...

Sponsored Links
Simply replacing the fuse may not be enough to ensure you have a working one.

If I had a quid for all those call-outs where customers have insisted that the lamp/fuse is OK because they've checked them, I'd be a millionaire!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back