Myson CH System won't light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year everyone.

For me it's a chilly start to 2007.

I have a Myson Apollo Fanfare Si CH system that runs the radiators and heats a tank for hot water. The system is probably about 17 years old.

This morning, when the timer attempted to turn on the CH, I could hear the pump start to run but the boiler did not light. There is no pilot light on this system, so I am at a loss as to what the problem could be. I have tried turning the system on and off a few times but to no avail. One of the posts I have read talks about a reset button. I don't see one obviously on my system. Is there one?, if so where is it? and could this be the problem?

Sorry for all the questions but no heating on New Years Day with all the family staying is not a good recipe for happiness :cry:

I have just had the front off the boiler and just by chance I noticed that the extractor fan was not turning when the boiler was switched on. I turned it manually and now the system is working although the extractor fan sounds a bit noisy. Is that likely to be the cause, and do i need a new fan motor. If so is this easy to change?

Sponsored Links
Sorry I have no knowledge of that boiler.

The overheat stat would probably havge a red button in it which you would push in. Look for something attached to a pipe which contains a red button.

The older Apollos have everything like this high up top right on the flow pipe beneath a metal shroud, but their oh stat cuts the pilot so is not resetable, since the boiler won't work again until you light the pilot.

There is somewhere on the boiler a data badge which would have a no on it that looks like this 41 494 07 but your no would be something similar but different. Can you find it?

I did not see a reset button, but as I have edited my first post, the system has fired up now that the extractor fan (well I assume that is what it is because it seems to direct air up the flue) is turning. There is NO pilot light on this system. It just lights itself. Sounds amazing but thats how it seems to work :eek:

Thanks for your quick reply, I am sure you have better things to do today than help us useless sauls :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yes if the boiler doesn't have a pilot light it electronically lights every time. The pump must run fan must first come on then the boiler will try to light. There are sensors which let the boiler know the pump and fan have started and are going at enough speed. If they get tired and old the sensors aren't triggered.

At the very least your problem is now going to come and go, you may only need to lubricate the afn for the time being but eventually it will leave you cold. You need someone to check it out this coming week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back