Luke warm shower but boiling hot water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Halstead Finest combi boiler which seems to be working fine. The radiators all get hot, and the water is all steaming hot too apart from at one end of the bath. Its a bit of an odd set up but there's a bath/shower mixer at one end of the bath and there's loads of boiling hot water coming out from here, but at the other end of the bath there is another shower head and the water from here is only luke warm. There is only one tap to adjust the temperature and it is on maximum. I've lived here for over a year now so I think the temperature has been getting cooler over time.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? And am I right in assuming that as there is hot water in the flat, that the problem could be with the plumbing or shower head rather than the boiler? Is there a quick fix too?

Thanks for any advice, and a happy new year to you all!

Cheers
Penster

Sponsored Links
Is it an electric shower?
Take the bath panel off and have a look at the pipework if possible to see where this second shower is being fed from. If it is from the same supply as the bath/shower mixer, then it is likely the shower itself is the cause

Its not an electric shower, I assume it's supplied from the combi. I guess then that the problem is with the shower head thing itself? Is this a common problem? Is it fixable?

Many showers have a system that mixes a proportion of cold water " to prevent scalding". Often based on a thermostatic cartridge which sometimes gets jammed or the wax element just fails.

I expect thats your problem. Whilst some work fine ( at least for a while ) others are never very satisfactory and I always recommend a simple NON thermostatic shower unit as they are cheaper and more reliable.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony. If what you suspect is right, would you suggest just buying a new shower head unit thing or is it easy enough to repair (or at least pay a plumber to repair)?

And forgive me, but whats a 'NON thermostatic shower'?

You keep refering to the shower head as at fault the head should be ok but it will be the valve. over the years i'v found lots of cheaper end of the scale thermostatic shower valves use wax capsules & the life span seems to be shortend when on combis more than anything else. maybe as the combis hot water temp control is set near max & there is a lot of temp change as the boiler shuts on and off this always seems to result in them failing in a cooler protective position. If possible get a quote 4 a good make of shower Aqualisa 609 21 or Mira excell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back