Stair Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a pre assembled staircase and am fitting it into a well that is open on one side. The bottom is to a concrete floor and the upper floor is wooden. What fixings and method of fixing should I use?

Sponsored Links
If you're talking about fixing the string to the wall then use fischer screw which is here

Thanks, I have those for the string but what about fixing the top and bottom of the stairs, especially the bottom?

P.S Sorry I should have said I had those fixings. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Moderator 3

If you want to add or change your post, use the
icon_edit.gif
button ;)

Shoutingman said:
I have bought a pre assembled staircase
Do you have a link I can look at or photo, is it a open risers or tread & risers?

Is it like this?

staircase.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yep. Here is a picture of the existing stairs. They are a straight flight.
Stairs4.jpg

The new one is here:

Stairs6.jpg

Obviously on it's side!

Yes eventually. Something simple but if possible I would like to add it later due to financial constraints. I also have a floor to lay first but that I can manage.

I will ideally have a banister and full railings round the top landing sweeping down one side of the stairs.

Ahhh, this is where it get complicated!

The newel post need to be cut out ready onto the trimmer on the first floor level and the string cut out with mortise & tennon and the same on the bottom floor level.

I used to make staircases and it's not easy to do the cutting of the newel post etc.

Unless you're thinking of using www.richardburbidge.co.uk handrail kit but even then you would need already fitted newel post although it's not impossible to do afterward, I'm surprised the string has no mortise and tennon ready for the newel post which is normally for wall on both side.

I don't know what your capabilities are for carpentry level

What area in Kent are you from?

agree with masona thus far.

the side string fixings coupled with the top trimmer fixings will be sufficient.

if you're still not happy fix a concealed angle bracket at the bottom of the stairs, on the inside of the stringer. this will have to be drilled to the concrete floor first and the stairs lowered along side it.

as masona says, you will have to mortice and tenon a newel at the top prior to installation.

i strongly recommend you fix a temporary hand rail until you come up with the dollars for a new one. ;)

Thanks Chaps. Unfortunately due to time constraints (the Wife) I have had to go ahead and install the stairs without newell posts and they went fine. I know this will cause problems when fitting bannisters but hey ho.
I used the idea of the brackets non wall side top and bottom and it worked a treat. Once again thanks for all your help, I may post a piccie of it done soon.

Well They are in. Not sure they are to your standards Masona or yours Noseall but I am happy with them and they are solid. Here's a piccie and thanks for all your help.

Stairs12.jpg

looks good.

don't forget that temporary handrail though. it's when you're drunk in the middle of the night, or if the wifes carrying a baby down the stairs, that things can get a little sticky. :eek:

Nice job ;)

Don't forget the plasterboard underneath for fire resistance

You can use Fireproof Decorative Board and I believe MDF are fire resistance as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back