Plastering a small hole help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am moving out of my rented accomodation and i had one of those adhesive hooks stuk on the wall...
I decided to take it off and the plaster came with it (stupid of me i no...)
Is there anyway i can cover the whole up so that it does not look like there is a hole in the plaster cuase i really dont wanna lose my deposit!!!!
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You don't say how wide or deep the hole is.

Let me guess.

It is 20mm square and 3mm deep and the wall is emulsion-painted in off-white.

You can buy a tube of Fine Filler at your local DIY or hardware store.

Also buy a broad-bladed filling knife whose blade is at least 50% wider then the hole.

Pick up some colour sample cards for emulsion paint.

Read the instructions twice.

Read the instructions again.

Clean any dust out of the hole.

Use the knife to press the filler into the hole. By pressing against the solid plaster around the hole you can press it flat. It will tend to bulge out slightly after the knife passes.

Don't fiddle with it.

Clean the knife thoroughly using a pan-scourer before it sets.

When set firm, you can use the knife as a scraper to scrape off the slight bulge. You may also, if it is not fully hard, be able to moisten the surface and polish it smooth with the knife held almost flat to the wall.

You will now have a white patch on the wall.

Compare the colour samples to the wall. In a rented flat it is very likely to be magnolia, or almond white, or barley white, or rose white or one of those other shades. Decide if it is matt or silk.

Buy the smallest pot you can find of the appropriate colour. It might be available in a tiny "trial" pot. Apply it lightly with a sponge. You will find that the colour does not match perfectly because the wall is dirty and the paint is clean.

The day after applying the paint, when it is fairly dry, sponge the walls where dirty with a little washing-up liquid in clean water. Dab this dirt over your paint patch to make the dirt blend in. You can do the same with other paint chips you have made around the flat.

p3121879_l.jpg

you are amazing! thank u sooooooo much!!!! Im gonna have to try it tomorrow cuase gotta move out by sunday! My room is have a prelimary inspection tomorrow but i will just cover the area with photos!
One more question... I have another hook stuck on my wall, is there a way to get it off without takin the plaster off or should i just leave it there!!!

thank you again!

You might try warming it with a hair dryer or kettle, that may soften the adhesive.

If your lease says don't stick things to the walls then you may as well pull it off yourself and try to fill it, otherwise the landlord or agent will pretend they paid a decorator £150 to pull it off.

Sponsored Links
I think i will try the hair dryer idea first! will save me time! How long does it take for the filler to dry? I just hope when inspecting my room they dont want to see the walls empty -- the person said they didnt expect the room to b empty cause she came tonight but i told her my room was covered in boxes!
ive got about 3 hours inbetween comin home from work and filling the whole, to my room being inspected! i should get some of it done shouldnt i?! i can just over it up with my pics while she is here!
(sorry for the essay!)

really sorry but one more question, i no im thick but how do i know if the walls are matt or silk!? i think they are matt but how do i know for sure?

Reading the instructions will take longer than filling the hole.

You can dab paint over it after an hour if you need to (normally the next day would be better). The readymixed fine filler in a tube hardens quite quickly. It is not suitable for a deep hole like that as it may shrink or take a long time to set. Fillers for big holes are powders or in tubs.

If you have any paint showing on the bit of plaster that came off, you can take it to the DIY shop and try to match it in one visit.

Silk paint - if you pretend it is a mirror and look at a light bulb in it, you will see the light shining off it.

Matt paint you won't.

I don't know a better way to explain.

There might be some samples in the DIY shop.

ok now im confused... do i want a tube of filler or a tub of it? if i ask at b and q will they know? i do have some plaster so will bring it with me!

You have not said how big the hole is.

If it is the size I guessed then you want a tube of fine surface filler. If you use the method I described you should not have a big lump standing out on the surface of the wall, and you should not need to sand it.

ok thank you!
the hole isnt that big, if you imagine a adhesive hook, meduim sized one, its a bit bigger than that. to be honest as long as it looks like there was never a hole then it doesnt matter (i cant imagine them inspecting it really closely!)

really sorry to drive you mad but i just decided to measure it! Its bigger than 20mm - its about 40/50mm but is only about 1/2mm deep.

Fine surface filler will do.

You may find it difficult to buy a filling knife more than 50mm/2" wide.

There are some 100mm/4" wide

It must be made of thin springy steel.

The reason for having a knife wider than the hole is so you can level it easily.

thank you soooooooooo much! i would offer to help you with something but i dont think i could unless you need education advice(im a teacher!)

i will let you know how i get one tomorrow! gonna go to B and q on the way home and buy everything!
so i need:
the filler
knife
sponge
paint
scouring pads

anythin else?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back