reasonable quote for new boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've posted on here before about problems with a Gloworm Swiftflo. Well, it has stopped altogether over Christmas and we desperately want hot water and heating again. We called an engineer who serviced it recently and he has quoted us £1930 to fit a Baxi 105HE. It looks like the boiler itself costs less than £800 so wondering if this is reasonable.
He also wants paid in cash or banker's draft. Is that standard? He wants 50% in advance. He thinks he might be able to do it on Friday and it is probably hard enough to find engineers as this time. Is this is a reasonable quote? It includes powerflushing the system.
Thanks
Anne Marie

Sponsored Links
We would quote somewhat less but I would say that its still quite reasonable, particularly at this time of year.

Wanting definate payment methods seem very sensible and he is clearly an experienced person!!! I wonder why you question this if you intended to pay him.

You should get a written statement that he will powerflush, add Sentinel or Fernox inhibitors and accept full responsibility for any water treatment issues arising within a year ( or two or three ? ).

Check his CORGI registration on their web site and ensure he notifies the installation to them and fills in the Benchmark Certificate.

Tony

Thank you. We have a written quote but it only says:
"Power flush central heating system to clean corrosion deposits from system."
I certainly intended to pay him! The mention of cash or banker's draft just made us a bit worried that things mightn't be completely above board, but if it is pretty usual to request this then OK. A cheque would obviously be more convenient for us.
I thought the quote was probably pretty reasonable as my neighbour paid almost £2000 a few months ago with another engineer. I don't know how mark-up etc works. Still seems a lot for a 2 bed house!
We're hoping to sell the house in the next few months. We probably won't see the money back but it will be worth it to have nice showers again!

Only last night when mending a boiler for a building surveyor, we both agreed that a new boiler was a very positive selling point and would enhance a property value above the cost of the work!!!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The reason that he wants either cash or a bank draft is to ensure that payment goes through.

Personally, if I do not know someone I will only accept the final payment in cleared funds which the T&Cs and order form makes quite clear.

It's hard to know about seeing return on investment (though this is basic maintenance!) in a property. I think it would certainly be a selling point for me in the future. Also wish we had went ahead with double glazing for the back of the house as back door now seized up too!

Thanks again
AM

I'm glad i haven't got a Combi.

When my boiler turns up its toes I can continue using the cylinder and immersion heater, and gas fires or electric heaters, while I take my time choosing the installer and replacement boiler without having to pay for an emergency.

annemarie said:
The mention of cash or banker's draft just made us a bit worried that things mightn't be completely above board, but if it is pretty usual to request this then OK.

The sad fact is many people think plumbers are fair game so don't pay of take months to pay. This Christmas I very nearly subsidised my customers' christmas presents to the combined sum of £6,0000 made up of 4 customers. I thankfully did manage to get all the money in just in time to buy ,y 9 year old son a psp and 12 year old daughter a ds with Nintendogs but it was a close run thing.

There is still about 7 grand in bad debts I was just mnentioning the Christmas delayers, the commercial clients take ther 6 months nowadays, I might just get their money in before I have to declare bankruptcy as long as the van doesn't need another £1200 gearbox job for a while.

Yo think I'm joaking?

I have now professionally upgraded my estimates which I require signed acceptance of detailing all costs to be paid on arrival and full amount on completion. If I don't get it I'm away, I have more than enough ASlpha boilers to fix, don't really want the installs, but if they must have a boiler fitted they must pay there and then from now on.
Please don't get the idea Alpha boilers break down, I have to travel far and wide to find a broken one, it's just that I am keen so I go anywhere for them, they have to pay the extra but I suppose they are glad of a solution to the jobs they can't cover. I was the same as a despatch rider, top rider, never turned down a job. It's just the way I'm made.

If you are going to sell the house, why change the boiler. What makes you think your new boiler will not let you down?

I am repairing boiler that are just out of warrenty, some of which are needing parts that have hardly reached spare stockist's shelves.

Better to have the exisitng boiler repaired and running, and keeping the funds for new house.

For a boiler change I would be looking for a tidy instal, completed benchmark logbook, chemically cleansed system (will easily take up a day or more), then inhibited followed by undertaking that the installer will be servicing the boiler in future. Sometimes boilers are chucked in with no regard to working clearance stated in the manual. Subsequent repairs later can be very difficult.

Went to repair a boiler which could only be reached standing on steps. While my back were against the wall, chest was against the combustion chamber panel- absolutely no way of reparing the boiler. Had to walk away from it.

I had to fix an ALpha teetering off the top of very spindly steps, nearly knocked it back though. I mustr be a saint or a sucker dpending for what reason you hold my money.

Paul Barker said:
I had to fix an ALpha teetering off the top of very spindly steps

Now what was an Alpha doing on the top of steps?

Also Pauls earlier post said he was owed £60,000 by only four customers!

How does he get average job values of £15,000 each? Ours are more like £75.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back