Adding a bend to a soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The waste stack of our loo goes into the floor and thru the inside of the house.

We are going to be doing up our bathroom and want to change our loo but the only ones I can find all seem to have soil pipes which go out thru the wall. This would mean that a new loo would be pushed too far into the room after fixing the elbow joint and boxing it in (cos it won't be flush to the wall), causing ones nose to be pushed up against the facing door while using it :rolleyes:

My question is; Is there any way to re-route the existing stack so that it can enter thru the wall instead? I'm not talking about moving the entire stack just putting some sort of bend in it. Is this possible or will it cause blockages?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Theres a fitting made by McAlpine called a WCCON8F that may fit the bill for you. Its hard to help any more really unless you post a picture cos we cant see what you are trying to fit and where you are trying to fit it.

Sometimes if your door opens into the WC you can hang the door on the other side of the frame so that it opens outwards. A mess about for your wood butcher maybe but I have seen it work before.

Cheers for that Slugbaby. I'll post up a pic when I get home tonight. It will illustrate how tight the space is.

I had a look at the Macalpine site but couldn't find a WCCON8F but I think the WC-CONQP looks like a good space saving device if I can't find anything else to actually reroute the stack to come into the house thru the wall. It'll still be a squeeze tho!

Cheers again.

Here are the pics of my existing toilet.
As you can see there's not much room to play with, so the new toilet can't really push much more into the room.

Ideally I'd like a way to put some sort of bend in the stack so that it comes in thru the outside wall. The toilet I want to buy sits flat against the wall.

Outletpipe.jpg

Toiletanddoor.jpg

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention that the door is actually angled, it's quite an odd shaped room :rolleyes:

Just to illustrate things more fully, here is the toilet I want to get along with the technical drawings:

7e_1.jpg

66_1.jpg

As you can see from the drawing the outlet pipe sticks out a bit so won't be able to sit flush against the wall if the pipework stays as it is.

you`re making a rod..etc. with that monster WC :cry: I`ve got a nice Twyford one in my shower room and it`s only 660mm from the back wall and the outlet would go down thru floor if needed.....with a :?: shaped connector it`d fit your room atreat but you can see the out let.........can`t remember the model but got it from PTS plumbers merchants ;)

Hi Nige,

If it was flush against the wall it would only actually project as far as my existing one.

I'm being quite fussy about style and I really like this one and it's only £100...so it suits my budget too!

I could search for a shorter one but I want to to check with the experts on here whether there is a solution re. the soil stack first.

You could re-route it to the outside if its internal, but the more bends you put in theres more chance of blockages. Two 45 degree bends to take it to the outside then renew upwards. You could need planning permission for this, check first.

With that style of toilet you've got no hope of connecting the waste into the floor unless you build a bit of stud work for it to sit against. Those are big WC's and it dosent look like you have a lot of room for it going by the pictures you have posted.

Lee-King said:
but the more bends you put in theres more chance of blockages.

That's what I was worried about. Blockages are a no no!

Those are big WC's and it dosent look like you have a lot of room for it going by the pictures you have posted.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think I need a shorter loo :(

Cheers for the advice Lee.

The pic shows the outlet as ending at the wall.
I fitted a very similar one recently and on that there was enough room to fit a bent multikwik connector behind the pan without having to build the thing off the wall. I would check if you can do the same with the one you have there as the outlet shown may be extended in the drawing simply to show the dimensions of diameter and height.

To quote my favourite Star Trek engineer ... "You cannae change the laws of physics captain" :)

Two options I think ...

1. Get a different loo.

2. Sit the new loo where the existing one is, use the existing soil pipe and build studwork to take up the gap between the back and the wall ... And wear knee pads!

Any further thought would require more information such as:

What is on the other side of the wall behind the Loo?

What is underneath?

Well said, slug.......mine was an elite model :idea:

What is the relevance of the "70" dimension "300" along the base shown on the drawing?

Is this an option for downward connection - i.e. through the floor?

May be a stupid question!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back