Extending washing machine plumbing/pipes to a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is not the right section...

My friend is considering buying a house but has a problem with the kitchen layout.
The space under the sink allocated for a washing machine (where the plumbing for one is located) is tiny (stupid unit layout basically), so he's wondering if its possible to put the washer in the attached garage instead.

The garage is attached to the kitchen, but is about 8ft away in the opposite direction to the sink.

How feasible is it to get the pipes extended into the garage (would be hot, cold and waste I'd assume) and what may be involved? Any rough prices would be useful as well!
I think they would have to go under the floor.

Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Getting the water supplies under the floor into the garage shouldn't be the problem, its the waste that you need to worry about. Waste water relies on gravity to flow away with fall that would be on the waste pipe, an 8ft run would need roughly a 2" fall.

You could run the waste outside into a gulley or boss it into the soil stack if possible. Without seeing the job for myself ( or by what information you have given) i can't give you any better advice on the running of the waste pipe.

Hope this helps

Yep, as Lee-King has said, the supply should be fine but its difficult/impossible to advise on the waste as we cannot see the layout. If you could provide pictures it would help.

Sponsored Links
I fitted a WM in a garage for a m8 years ago. I had managed to sufficiently insulate the pipes to the garage.

After about 6 years he got me to take it out and put it in an unused bedroom. Reason being that although the plumbing was ok he had gone through a couple of pumps due to them bursting whenever there was a bad winter.
There is always a small amount of water that runs back into the pump after it has finished pumping out. Just enough to explode it when the water turns to ice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back