Fuses blowing in pcb's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just read a thread on here about a boiler blowing fuses.

What sequence would you guys go through if you were to encounter this problem? What it be a case of unplugging components (pump, fan, gas valve) until the fuse stops blowing, or is there a more technical way?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
newcomers said:
or is there a more technical way?

Thanks

This is where the use of a multimeter comes in very handy.
Check for short circuit,resistances etc etc..A vital piece of equipment for fault finding and safety

poxi said:
newcomers said:
or is there a more technical way?

Thanks

Check for short circuit,resistances etc etc..A vital piece of equipment for fault finding and safety

But what readings should I be getting when checking resistance. Doesnt that vary from boiler to boiler?

Paint me yellow and call me unsophisticated but thats they way I do it newcomer

:)

Sponsored Links
your asking the most basic of questions.

I would suggest a heating / boiler engineer to solve this problem.

Really cant give advise to someone with such a basic knowledge. This is not an insult.

David

corgiman said:
Paint me yellow and call me unsophisticated but thats they way I do it newcomer

:)

Thats how Ive been shown, but say it wasnt blowing the fuse, but blowing the actual board instead. It would become an expensive job before you found the faulty component!!

I mustve been lucky so far because Ive come across 3 blown fuses in pcb's, and just replaced them and the boiler has worked fine!! Surely my luck will come to an end soon!?!?

Soggy_weetabix said:
your asking the most basic of questions.

I would suggest a heating / boiler engineer to solve this problem.

Really cant give advise to someone with such a basic knowledge. This is not an insult.

David

This type of answer is so annoying!!! Like im going to stop working on boilers because you dont think I know enough. How is your answer going to help? Surely the best thing to do would be to assist me?

Use one!

David[/quote]

It must be just the people on this site that know everything about everything, because ALL of the people I come into contact with (self employed, and have been for many many years) dont know how to test electrical components, hence why im asking on here

Well done guys, hope someday I will know half as much as what you lot know

MOD 2

calm down boys

how do you expect to fault find if yount use basic equipment to ascertian the faulty part.

David

I understand your point newcomers. But cant your firm get you on a course to understand component testing. Potterton do one but dont know if they do it at dartford.

poxi said:
I understand your point newcomers. But cant your firm get you on a course to understand component testing. Potterton do one but dont know if they do it at dartford.

But that was my original point. Wont it vary from boiler to boiler? Surely youre not meant to memorise the resistance of every component on every boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back