My Potterton Suprima 70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

have the misfortune of owing a very unreliable Potty :( which has been locking out occasionally over the past 4 years. 2-3 times a day now (and in the bloody loft!). Wife has decided she wants a new bathroom with the money I was going to use for a new boiler :eek:

I have checked all wiring and all looks ok. Thermostats are ok. In your considered opinions is it the "Suprima PCB boards are s!@t" :confused: scenario, or is there another fault common on these? If it is where should I be looking?

Sponsored Links
Well - the queston to ask is ...

at what point in the sequence is it going into lockout

and is it a 407750 or a 5102160 ?

and is the HT lead red or black ?

There is a firm in Sutton Coldfield which reconditions ( repairs ) old Suprima PCBs.

However, professionals are not allowed to use them because they are not "Manufacturer's approved" spares. If I was ever asked to fit one by a customer I would probably agree as its better that they are professionally fitted and the boiler operation checked.

I suppose a DIYer could use them though.

Tony

Sponsored Links
PCB for sure and while you are at it make sure you get the new loom aswell because if you havent had a board for 4 years it will need the whole lot for a new one.

Agile said:
There is a firm in Sutton Coldfield which reconditions ( repairs ) old Suprima PCBs.

However, professionals are not allowed to use them because they are not "Manufacturer's approved" spares. If I was ever asked to fit one by a customer I would probably agree as its better that they are professionally fitted and the boiler operation checked.

Tony
How do they get away with that :?: :!:The place that repairs them I mean

Yes, but they give 3 months warranty - I give 12 months

However, professionals are not allowed to use them because they are not "Manufacturer's approved" spares.

Tony - what a load of testicular crap

If I was ever asked to fit one by a customer I would probably agree as its better that they are professionally fitted and the boiler operation checked.

It is impossible to incorrectly fit a Suprima PCB

funny you should say that - a lot of "professionals" do

Just done mine. Got refurbished board from TEC Service Group. (find em on eBay). They do exchange service/. Approx £40 warranty for 3 months.

Works loverlee

TTC

pannierstan said:
Agile said:

Tony
How do they get away with that :?: :!:The place that repairs them I mean

And what, exactly, do you mean by that comment ?

Taylortwocities said:
Just done mine. Got refurbished board from TEC Service Group. (find em on eBay). They do exchange service/. Approx £40 warranty for 3 months.
Works loverlee
TC

as opposed to £50 for a 12 month warranty?

do they not have confidence in their work?

I do

You end up paying for what you get. Potty STILL seem determined to make a profit from selling replacement PCBs for Suprimas, despite the APPALLING bad Press and loss of customer confidence as a result of their previous mistakes with this part.

BUT IMHO the current replacement part is 'reliable', whilst ANY version of the original type is probably 'not reliable'. I also suspect the new board works beter too, as well as being more reliable electronically.

If you decide to fit the new version, on some Suprimas (the ones with fans with a large dark-coloured rotating drum) you will also need a new fan! I'd advise getting a professional in to do it - there's extensive rewiring.

Cheers Croydon - would you beleive I am CORGI'd!! (Only 2 months and VERY large learning curve). Mine is the 70, instructions state new fan reqd for 100 only. I am about to install - sods law old PCB has not played up for 3 days now.............................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back