Dimmer Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently the set of halogen lights I installed in the rose of my sons bedroom died a death. My wife has purchased a replacement set which are not marked dimmable. I think the transformer in the first set of lights burnt out because I had them attached to a standard dimmer switch and each evening dimmed the lights to act as a night light. I think the new set will go the same way - unless someone out there can help?

Sponsored Links
yes, dont dim them.

take them back or change the transformer to a dimable one

would a "child light" not be a better solution?

Clearly you have not met my wife - think I will change the light to something that can dim!

Sponsored Links
When I installed 12V halogen lights I bought a special halogen dimmer switch. It costs a little bit more than a standard dimmer but it is good quality. See here

Now, I have not had any problems with the transformer getting too hot, bulbs going (still on the set that came with the kit, nearly 2 years old!) and it was only a Wickes £20 for 5 halogen lights and transformer kit. So I doubt mine was a special "dimmable" one.

Do dimmable transformers refer to special ones that can use standard mains dimmers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back