Downlighting

Wez

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install 3 hallogen downlighters and pullcord switch in my bathroom - however they work fine untill I switch them off at the pullcord and then they trip all the upstairs lights. I have tried allsorts of wiring combinations and it happens every time. What am I doing wrong??????????????

Sponsored Links
Mains to first light - first to second - second to third - third to switch

ahhh i see, you will probably neeed a new switch as the one you have may now be burnt out.

the lights can stay as they are, but the switch is at the wrong end and wrong way.

incoming mains should go through switch (you have switch across mains) then to lights

Sponsored Links
Breezer needs his RH hat, and I'm C**P at pasting drawings up here, but you need a permanent live and switched live at the pullcord. The permanent live you would get from an adjacent JB or CR. the return from the switch (switched live feeds your recessed fittings, along with the neutral & earth from the JB or CR. (ceiling rose, sorry)

take your 230v ( L N E)supply to the switch connect live to one end of the switch marked L in or common ( Red or Brown)
take the outgoing supply to your lights and connect the (Red or Brown) to the other side of the switch marked L1 or L2 and join the neutrals together (Blacks or Blues) into a 5amp choc block ( not into switch) same with earths you will have an earth terminal on switch base unit

He should have it sorted by now, this thread is 5 years old.
Watch out for the date when replying to posts ;)

Never mind being 5 years late with an answer- at least some people here will have yet another opportunity to say that anyone who installs D/Ls is an incompetent fool :D

Never mind being 5 years late with an answer- at least some people here will have yet another opportunity to say that anyone who installs D/Ls is an incompetent fool :D

I'm proud to be an incompetent fool then :evil:

I've got three in my bathroom and they do a lovely job of lighting an awkward space - far better than the original fitting :D :p

Nowt wrong with downlighters ;)

Some people think there's nothing wrong with stone cladding, satellite dishes, Macdonalds...

No matter how useless, ugly, inelegant or awful something is there will always be someone so ignorant and lacking in good taste that they will think there's nothing wrong with it.

Oh dear - I happen to enjoy a McDonalds every now and again, and have never been offended by a satellite dish either! I guess that makes me ignorant and lacking in good taste, then? :cry:

If taste wasn't entirely subjective, and if your particular tastes were some kind of gold standard by which all other tastes were measured, you might have some small justification for leveling personal insults at anybody whose tastes differ from your own. It would still be rude, though.

I've seen a photo on here of your external lighting installation which reveals that you have a block paved driveway. I might well point out that surfacing an entire drive with small blocks is a pointlessly inelegant and labour intensive method of drive surfacing which results in a drive prone to weed penetration, rutting by vehicles and general difficulty to maintain, and which looks like it wants to be a wall. I could further claim that anybody who chooses such a method of surfacing a driveway must be an ignorant fool totally lacking in good taste, and that the only sensible method for load-bearing area coverage is steel reinforced poured concrete. :)

Of course I would not, because I respect the fact that solutions other than the most elegant/efficient may be chosen for aesthetic or other reasons, and furthermore that aesthetic taste is entirely a matter of personal opinion which people should be free to express as they see fit. I also generally try to avoid making personal insults to strangers on forums.

Liam

Some people think there's nothing wrong with stone cladding, satellite dishes, Macdonalds...

No matter how useless, ugly, inelegant or awful something is there will always be someone so ignorant and lacking in good taste that they will think there's nothing wrong with it.

Ignorant? Lacking in good taste? That's showing ignorance yourself. People have different likes and dislikes but that's not to say that they are wrong. Taste is entirely subjective. What you exhibit here is a remarkable lack of tolerance for the opinions and viewpoints of others which, given some of your posts in various forums over the years indicates a touch of hypocrisy.*

But hey-ho, it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. :rolleyes:

*Irony, by the way.

I wont hold my breath whilst waiting for Wes to chip in. And for that matter, i think JimSky007 might not answer either, he's currently looking into a cure for the millenium bug :D

No bids on the bed covers yet :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back