Power flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any point to have the system flushed and fresh inhibitors introduced at a total cost of £220? I guess what I'm really asking is if it is worth getting my plastic piping (responsible for the build up of the muck in the system I'm told) replaced with copper? If this is done, how big a job is it and will the pipes be hidden or on show throughout the house?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it has been fitted with non barriered plastic pipe then it is essential to have it replaced.

It is non-barrier pipe (so I'm told). If I get it replaced should I go for copper or barriered plastic? Which is
a) quicker
b) cheaper
c) messier

Will the new pipes be visible or hidden in the walls like the current ones?

Cheers.

Copper is cheaper. It will cost you more in the first place, but mice don't eat copper, THAT is expensive.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
Copper is cheaper. It will cost you more in the first place, but mice don't eat copper, THAT is expensive.

What utter rubbish!! If you have a mice problem then id suggest pest control and mouse traps......copper pipes wont make them go away!

Barrier plastic pipe is fine and definatly your cheapest option.

It will if you put a lectric fence unit onto the copper pipe :eek: worked in my ole grandaddys tot pile.......kep them p***ys away, yes sir that did sure `nuff

HarrogateGas said:
oilman said:

What utter rubbish!! If you have a mice problem then id suggest pest control and mouse traps......copper pipes wont make them go away!

That demonstrates what a lack of thought went into your reply. It might just be, that by the time you have discovered mice had eaten through the pipes the damage done would mean having to replace the ceiling. So before you start slinging your mud perhaps you should think. :p

sorry harrow but oil is right mice love a bit of hep20 they do, mind you they seem to like john guest more, mebbe cos its white

I love pushfit but would never install it under ground floor floor boards cos of them thar meeces

I know that they also get upstairs but the slight risk of that is out weighed by the labour cost and convience i think

Hi I guess the others are not reading your post
plastic pipe is NOT responsible for the muck build up in your system the muck is the water & gases that build up in your rads rotting the rads from the inside, if the rads are cold in the middle / bottom then you have muck build up and a power flush would solve this if It is non-barrier pipe it needs changing if the same person that told you its the plastic pipe thats responsible for the muck, get it checked by someone else

oilman said:
HarrogateGas said:
oilman said:

That demonstrates what a lack of thought went into your reply. It might just be, that by the time you have discovered mice had eaten through the pipes the damage done would mean having to replace the ceiling. So before you start slinging your mud perhaps you should think. :p

But what your saying is the same as.......dont fit expensive carpits because you may get a mark on them.

It makes no sense. I dont disagree that mice like to chew through plastic pipe but if you got mice then deal with them but dont blame plastic pipe for them. You could argue to use plastic because mice prefer them to electric cables and as electricians are more expensive than plumbers then this is the best alternative.

You make no sense

uug197h said:
Hi I guess the others are not reading your post
plastic pipe is NOT responsible for the muck build up in your system the muck is the water & gases that build up in your rads rotting the rads from the inside, if the rads are cold in the middle / bottom then you have muck build up and a power flush would solve this if It is non-barrier pipe it needs changing if the same person that told you its the plastic pipe thats responsible for the muck, get it checked by someone else

How have you worked that out?, non barriered pipe is directly responsible for the ingress of air into the system which allows the rads to corrode.

non barriered pipe is not advisable for heating as you should know the air is in the water when its heated up and pumped round the system the air and other gases separates from the water and rots the rads this is basic chemistry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back