washing machine is eating our clothes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our washing machine is over ten years old and apart from the odd replacement part, has been great. However it has now started to tear hole in our clothes, especially the sleeves. Is this a cheap fault to repair or is it time to buy a new washer. :?:

Sponsored Links
Are there any signs of damage to the inside of the drum or the door seal? You will need to look very closely with a good torch.

torn clothes causes

Bra wire sticking up through holes in drum

wrong spin speed for fabric

overloaded

other foreign object in drum

Thanks for the advice. I,ve had a good look at the drum and door seal (which is only 12 months old) with a torch but I cannot see any sign of damage or anything poking through the holes.
I haven't been using the machine any differently to suggest I'm over loading it or using the wrong spin speed. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
how do you know you are not overloading it?

just because you cant see something does not mean its not there.

One of the above must be the case since you say your clothes are damaged

I wonder what make and model it is.

I wonder if these are old or new clothes, and if they are going into holes or coming apart at the seams.

I wonder what kind of washing powder and other chemicals are being used.

Any chance of some pics?

When you say it is mainly damaging the sleeves of clothes, it suggests that they are coming out of the drum & rubbing against the door seal, that would be the thing I would start with. If it is only 12 months old, is it under warranty? Why was it replaced? Was it a genuine manufacturers part fitted or a generic one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back