Hot water is causing central heating to switch off...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any thoughts would be much appreciated...

Basically hot water is fine but when it appears to have filled the tank the central heating switches off- the pilot light is still there but it is not firing up.Checked all thermostats etc.

If we use up the water then we can start it up again for another hour or so?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks - any ideas of a rough cost of replacement?
Is is a quick job or do they need to drain the system etc? How many hours of work and the cost of the part?

Thanks

yes drain down req but only to below the valve, I used to air lock the system to do it using a bung kit.should take 1-1/2 hours if straight forward.
alternatively just leave a hot tap running all the time :evil:

sorry it may just require the head , which wont require a drain down

Sponsored Links
I have had a quote for around 3 hours labour +parts=£300
cash price- I am in the south

If you have a 3 port valve, the problem will most likely be either the small motor within the actuator head or a micro switch within the head.
A motor is around £15 and a complete head around £45 which usually can be changed easily. If you can remove the head you should be able to see how it reacts to the various selections. Sounds as though it is not moving across to the CH only position or if it is then the micro switch is preventing the boiler from lighting.
suggest you read more on 3 port mid position valves.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back