Distance from drainage/water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I hope someone might be able to help. We'd like to install a dishwasher in the kitchen of the house we've just moved into. There's no room for the washing machine and dishwasher near the sink, but one of them could be moved to the other side of the kitchen with pipes running under/behind the units. Would this work? How far from the drainage and water supply can the appliance be? Does it matter?
Any thoughts would be gratefully received.
Thanks,
Anna

Sponsored Links
It does not matter from the water supply side, but you would need to be able to get sufficient fall on the drain pipe. You will also need a convenient socket.

Thanks that's really useful. The socket bit is fine too. Can I just check - what does sufficient fall mean exactly? A continuous slope to the end or something else?
Thanks again.
Anna

The best way is to extend the drainage pipe TO the appliance rather than trying to extend the drain hose FROM the appliance.

Using this method, the drain pump of the appliance won't be over worked, also if you are extending the supply pipework it is a good idea to make sure you can access the taps without having to drag the appliance out (In case of a leak etc).

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Firstly, great site. This is my first post, so be gentle!

I have exactly the same problem, and thought of piping to the new applicance, however, space under the kitchen units is limited, and it is only possible for me to get a 1cm fall over 1m (total distance is about 4 meters).

However, after looking at a friends kitchen install (who had a similar type of problem - from MFI), they simply used an washing machine extension hose and a 5m water pipe to solve the issue.

His kitchen has been in for about 2 years, and they have never had a problem.

I am now thinking to go down the MFI route, and simple use extension pipes?

For the drainage the size of the pipe and trap has to be 40mm, the maximum distance is 3 metres from the stack and the gradient is 18- 45mm per metre

EVER-PURE said:
For the drainage the size of the pipe and trap has to be 40mm, the maximum distance is 3 metres from the stack and the gradient is 18- 45mm per metre

That would explain it. No chance of getting that gradient under your average kitchen unit!

Hi all, first post & a cracking site! Sorry to drag up an old thread but i'm having the same probs. Had to move the dishwasher due to buying a bigger cooker. When it's said extend the drainage pipe rather than the hose, are we talking about the 40mm plastic piping?

Cheers all!

Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back