Coal Gas Fire Very Noisy After Cleaning????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just cleaned out our gas fueled coal fire for the first time since we moved in (4 years). There was a huge amount of soot and what looked like brown sand filling up the bottom tray where the gas pipe is looped around. I have replaced the old coal with new ones and have fired it up to see how well it burns which is fine but very very noisy no matter how low you have it - a bit like an air pump at the petrol station. Does this sound ok to you or not, all I have done is remove the old non burning coals, given the whole thing a good hoover and replaced them?? I know as it is gas fed you might hear it a bit but this is very loud!?

Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links
did you hoover up the brown sand?

hope not it needs to be there

see this is the danger of people working on gas appliances who have no idea what they are doing?

Dont use the fire until that has been replace

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. If I had any idea that I would have needed an engineer to come and hoover a fire I would have got one, the reason I attempted it is we have black soot stains on a cream carpet. Now I know. I guess the shop that I bought the coals from should also have the sand, how much will I need (there was more soot and broken coals in the tray than sand?)

Thanks again.

get the manufacturer instructions for details of coals and sand.

get the right stuff from the maunfacturer to save any more mistakes.

as above....do not use this fire until its repaired and i strongly advise a service from a registered engineer to make sure there are no other problems.

Nope, will not be using the fire. There are no instructions, our house is Victorian and it looks as though this is a conversion!?

even more reason if the fire has been bodged into a space.

get it checked out if you want to use it again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back