Removing circ saw blade. Stuck! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Wickes circular saw, the one that currently costs £79.99 instore. Actually made by Kress but a decent and powerful saw, only cost me a fiver on eBay ;)

Anyway the blade needs changing and I can't get the nut undone. It takes an allen key, and I've tried wd40 and whacking it with a hammer :eek: like you do on drill chucks but it just won't shift.

Any ideas? If I take the whole machine apart will that help in any way?

Sponsored Links
May be a left hand thread though most circ saws are right hand thread if th eblade is to the right of the saw when viewed from the back.

Jason

You have locked the blade, so its just that the bolt is very tight?
A longer allen key, or an allen key with a ring spanner slipped over the end for more legerage.

as JasonB said, you may need to turn the retaining screw CLOCKWISE to undo it.

Sponsored Links
Have you locked the blade ? I'm not familiar with this particular saw, but sometimes it's necessary to jam a piece of wood between one tooth & the sole plate & then try all the methods above. Good Luck. Malkie

Conclusion.
Was a right hand thread, I actually ended up completely wiping out the allen key socket trying to remove it. Had to use grinder to cut a slot in the top of the bolt, and use a piece of angle iron as a lever to get it loose. So if anyone else has a Wickes/Kress 6066, it's a RIGHT HANDED THREAD! I should be able to reuse the screw but it's only a standard M8 anyways. Thanks for alll replies.

Deluks said:
Conclusion.
Was a right hand thread, I actually ended up completely wiping out the allen key socket trying to remove it. Had to use grinder to cut a slot in the top of the bolt, and use a piece of angle iron as a lever to get it loose. So if anyone else has a Wickes/Kress 6066, it's a RIGHT HANDED THREAD! I should be able to reuse the screw but it's only a standard M8 anyways. Thanks for alll replies.

even if it wasn't a standard thread i wouldn't recomend re-using the bolt as you dont know how much dammage has been done !!!!!
hammerd heated cooled weakend :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back