new 10.5kw shower tripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help!!!

Just installed a 10.5kw shower via 10.5mm2 cable . Main consumer unit is 100A. Have put in a 80A RCD and it has a 40A MCB. Runs ok on cold water so circuit is good. Soon as you turn shower to heat the RCD trips out .

Now I have realised that for a 10.5KW you should put in a 45A MCB but can anyone tell me if this wil prevent the tripping ouit of the RCD or do I have a problem with the new shower?

Help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Just installed a 10.5kw shower via 10.5mm2 cable

You did it yourself?

Now I have realised that for a 10.5KW you should put in a 45A MCB but can anyone tell me if this wil prevent the tripping ouit of the RCD

MCB is for overload and short circuit protection and will work on a 10.5 Kw shower.

RCD is another matter the fact that it is tripping indicates there's a leakage of current to earth and is potentially dangerous - far more than running a 40A MCB at ~ 45A.

do I have a problem with the new shower?

Possibly but probably not is this a replacement shower or a completely new installation?

This will help in finding out what the fault is.

alang666 said:
Just installed a 10.5kw shower via 10.5mm2 cable .

Now that is clever

if it is the rcd, these are designed to trip when there is a fault to earth, check you have not "nicked" and heater connections when fixing it to the wall

The solenoid that opens the water flow - how much 'lectric does this use? I ask because depending on the shower model, this should be the only thing running in cold mode, and if its below 30mA consumption, it wont trip the RCD if someone's used the wrong neutral busbar . . . .

. . . The heater, however, will trip the RCD it someone's used the wrong neutral busbar . . .

. . . Just a theory, only valid if the solenoid uses less than 30mA.

Breezer, the thing thats clever is the fact he's used 10.5mm² cable ;)

Sponsored Links
We love pictures :LOL:

I have seen one similar but it is fairly uncommon for a shower to end up in a condition as bad as that.

BTW if you surround the link to your picture with
rather than the tags the picture will be displayed stright on the forum :wink:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back