no electric to plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i went to make tea this morning to find i have no electric in my 3 plug sockets down stairs and no plug sockets working at all upstairs. The fuse has not tripped on the main board and i have swapped the fuses over to see if one of them has broken but still nothing. There is no reason for it to happen they were all working ok when i first got up and there was no bang or spark from anything they just dont work. Please help any ideas :(

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at the fuse(s) that you pulled out to see if the fuse wire has a break in it ( i.e. Blown )?

janey040967 said:
i went to make tea this morning to find i have no electric in my 3 plug sockets down stairs and no plug sockets working at all upstairs. The fuse has not tripped on the main board and i have swapped the fuses over to see if one of them has broken but still nothing. There is no reason for it to happen they were all working ok when i first got up and there was no bang or spark from anything they just dont work. Please help any ideas :(

Have you checked the RCD hasn't 'tripped'?

Do your lights work?

Have you drilled any holes recently? Knocked in any nails?

Are you sure none of the sockets work? If they are wired as a radial and the first socket on the circuit has loose connections that would explain why there is no power to the others. You could try turning off the power and checking each socket for a loose connection. Also keep an eye out for signs of overheating.

Davy

davy_owen_88 said:
janey040967 said:
i went to make tea this morning to find i have no electric in my 3 plug sockets down stairs and no plug sockets working at all upstairs. The fuse has not tripped on the main board and i have swapped the fuses over to see if one of them has broken but still nothing. There is no reason for it to happen they were all working ok when i first got up and there was no bang or spark from anything they just dont work. Please help any ideas :([/q

we have checked all the sockets but no loose wires and no over heating when we checked the main board we swapped the 30 amp fuse from the cooker with the 30 amp fuse from the plug sockets and the cooker worked with other fuse but the still no plug sockets. my dad put 3 pictures up for me today in my bedroom but he doesnt understand why that would affect it as all my wiring for plugs comes up from the floor and the fuse didnt trio there is just no power to sockets

Sponsored Links
There's a clue there.
Maybe an illegally routed wire goes down the wall and your Dad has cut it. Suggest you dont go round pulling out the new nails (could be live) and get a sparky man in

TTC

we have cheked all the sockets there are no loose wires and the fuse we took out of main board has been checked and we replaced it with the cooker fuse which is also 30 amp and the cooker worked with the plug socket fuse but the cooker fuse doesn't work the plug sockets. the only thing we have done today is put up 3 pictures with tacks in my bedroon wall but my dad assures me there are no wires behind that wall and why did it not trio the fuse if that is the case. Please help

It may be a broken neutral, if swapping the fuse does not work, hard to tell without test equipment

he has already taken tacks out of wall but didnt get shock or spark and i cant understand why it didnt blow the fuse

How do you know for cetain your dad hasnt nailed through a cable? coincidnce maybe but then again......

are you competent to use a multimeter and check for voltage at the sockets?

be very carefull when checking for the nails thru cables, as has been said-they could be live!

if its a ring main which your 30amp fuse suggests it is the sockets should still work if you were to break one leg.
do you have RCD protection or any reset buttons.
Are all your sockets ( up and down stairs ) on the one 30amp fuse?
is it the old brown type wylex fuse box?
Have you taken the cover off to look? dont do this if your not confident what your doing.

thanks for advice i will have to phone electrician tomorrow and hope it doesn't cost too much any recommendations of who to use?

we have taken the front off main box but it doesnt look like anything is broken or over heated. i have 2 fuses for plug sockets 1 does upstairs 1 does downstairs but this is on old house and i have lived here 25 years and as far as i know the wiring was replaced just before we moved in. Trouble is no one can work out how it is wired up.

janey040967 said:
i do have rcd protection but no reset switch

On the RCD there should be a test button and a switch. Check that the RCD hasn't tripped. You can find out by pressing the test button, if it trips then it hasn't already tripped, and if nothing happens then it has already tripped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back