Drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The inspection chamber nearest the sewer has been blocked twice recently.It is about 6ft deep and has two openings at the bottom. The higher of the two I am able to rod but the lower one which is level with the drain I cannot.Can anyone explain please the function of both these eyelets.My drain just serves our house which was built in 1955.

Sponsored Links
its called an interceptor and the bit you can clear is called a rodding eye.

the bottom hole is a trap to prevent debris going into main drain, and is supposed to stop vermin coming up from main drain, but they can swim so it dont work

the trap has a tendancy to crack and the water leak undermines it and it the collapses.

corgiman said:
its called an interceptor and the bit you can clear is called a rodding eye.

the bottom hole is a trap to prevent debris going into main drain, and is supposed to stop vermin coming up from main drain, but they can swim so it dont work

the trap has a tendancy to crack and the water leak undermines it and it the collapses.

Thanks corgiman. Should I be able to rod the trap you mention or are blockages just cleared by rodding the Rodding Eye?

the rodding eye just gives access to the run behind the trap

try a plunger on the trap and see how you go

Sponsored Links
The best way to clear an interceptor is with a marigold glove and a bucket. Definately not be the most pleasant though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back