Rough Price for Electric Work - Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just built a sigle story extension on my 3 bed semi. (garage and small dining room extension. (total 8m * 2.5m) and i'm now at the point of getting the electrics sorted.

The work required in the new extension is:

1. New Consumer Unit
2. 2 * Double Sockets
3. 1 Way Lighting circuit with 1 switch and 1 light.
4. Cable up existing sockecs light and sockects in garage. (switches and tubes etc.. are already in place)

I am aware that the gas and water pipes will require earthing + other post fitting tests conducted for part p sign off.

How much would you expect this to cost??

I had a quote for £800 which i thought was a tad steep! The parts should be less than £150.

Any help/advice would be great.
Cheers.

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
When you say new consumer unit, is that just for the extension or for the whole house ?
If it's for the whole house £800 isn't that bad if it covers the cu change and the work you've listed + all testing thats required.
But like they always say get more than one quote.

Cue the moderator to tell you not to ask for prices of work.

The new unit is for the entire house. But the old fusebox only has 1 ring, 1 lighting and 1 cooker fuse.

Oh well. Time to get another quote.

Thanks.

There's paperwork too.

Let me just ask you a question, and I'd like an honest answer, please.

How much are you prepared to pay for that work, including main equipotential bonding?

Sponsored Links
Just assumed like most trades it would be parts + labour.

£ 150 Parts
2 days labour at £150 a day.

So about £450 ish.

You say that your existing CU only has 3 ways? That's a bit unusual :confused:

Personally, for a 2 sockets and 1 light in a dining room (assuming everything else is OK) I would extend the existing power and lighting circuits. That would also save you getting involved with Part P.

If your earthing arrangements are not up to scratch these would still need to be done but once again these works are also outside of Part P.

Could you post a picture of your CU and existing earthing setup?

Oh, and forget trying to find a registerd electrician who will works for £150.00 a day. The current year is 2007 not 1997

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back