Bath waste water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D Hi all
After last summers drought I want to recycle the bath waste water during the summer. Any ideas on how to divert the water with a switch to save getting on the roof and changing the pipework each time I don't need to divert :?:
Mondo :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Im only thinking out loud here but if you bypass it in winter you will have standing water which gets smelly and isnt good. why not just give the storage an overflow, then when its full new water will come in and old (ok old mixed with new) will go out of the overflow! thus keaping the tank topped up with relatively new water.

although you may wish to have a divert for when your washing the bath with chemicals etc? -again Im thinking out loud, i dont even know what you plan on using the second hand water for!

Hi sm1thson
Water is for the garden, watering plants, not veg or fruit
Mondo

That would be what's called "grey" water, and would go smelly very quickly in the summer, so you could only keep it for a day, max.

You can get motorised or solenoid electric valves up to 2 inch quite easily
H.500.jpg

but these are cheaper:
17061.gif

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could use a rainwater diverter as sold for gutter downpipes etc. that normally tees into a gutter downpipe and acts as a combined filler and overflow for the water butt.

You could just let the filler/overflow design do it's job as intended, or you could fit a simple on/off valve in the connection between the water butt and downpipe to allow butt to fill or divert the flow back to the downpipe,

Hi ChrisR the cheaper option looks interesting. Can you give details so I can search it on the web
Mondo

It's just a WC cistern flap valve thingy - bog standard. You could fit one into the bottom of any tank you use to hold the water and pull a chain in time honoured fashion to let it out. Not sure what depth of water you could open it against though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back