Boiler won't stay alight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a really ancient potterton Kingfisher which is overdue for replacement. However that is not due to happen until the spring. Recently it has performed very well but now I have a problem.

The pilot light will stay alight no problem. However as soon as the boiler fires up it runs for about 1 minute and then cuts out with the pilot light having gone out. To my total non technical eye it seems as if the boiler running blows out the pilot!

It had a new thermocouple about 2 months ago.

Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Your non technical eye could well be smarter than you give it credit for.

Watch the pilot, if you can see it, when the main flames come on. Does the pilot shrink? If so, it needs a bit of a service.

Thanks for that. Yes I can just about see the pilot getting smaller. I have booked a service but the engineer can't come until Friday! Is there anything I can do in the meantime to try and keep it going?

I have cleaned the pilot itself but that has not made any difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back