Socket distance to sink and shaver socket distance to basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I know that there is a mininum distance of 300mm distance from a socket to a sink but my question is, does this include the drainer or just the bowl of the sink?

Also is there a mininum distance for a shaver socket to be away from a basin within bathroom?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry. You were invisible!!

300mm from the edge of the sink unit, ie drainer.

You can site the shaver socket in Zone 2, which runs from the edge of the bath or shower cubicle to a distance of 600mm from the bath or shower cubicle, up to a height of 2.25m.

Some organisations extend Zone 2 to around the wash basin:

If you would prefer to keep your shaver socket out of this area, by all means do. Your socket must comply with BS EN 60742 Ch.2 S.1.

Zones.jpg

Invisible-Man said:
Hi,
I know that there is a mininum distance of 300mm distance from a socket to a sink but my question is, does this include the drainer or just the bowl of the sink?

Also is there a mininum distance for a shaver socket to be away from a basin within bathroom?

Many thanks

Yes 300mm from the edge of the drainer

I would say 300mm again but can't be sure.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
I'm sorry. You were invisible!!

300mm from the edge of the sink unit, ie drainer.

You can site the shaver socket in Zone 2, which runs from the edge of the bath or shower cubicle to a distance of 600mm from the bath or shower cubicle, up to a height of 2.25m.

Some organisations extend Zone 2 to around the wash basin:

If you would prefer to keep your shaver socket out of this area, by all means do. Your socket must comply with BS EN 60742 Ch.2 S.1.

Zones.jpg

thanks for that,
I'm invisible yes, but so is electricity hehehe!
directly next to the sink is OK then?
who do you mean by organisations?

The socket should comply, it's an MK one!

Invisible-Man said:
thanks for that, who do you mean by organisations?

IIRC BS7671 doesn't include round the basin as zone 2. It is classed as being no zone (providing it is not in a zone created by the bath).
However the NICEIC class the area round a basin as being zone 2 (like in the diagram above), and therefore its members have to too.

The socket should comply, it's an MK one!

As the shaver socket is in a bathroom it has to comply with BS EN 60742 Ch.2 S.1. (It must contain a safety isolating transformer)

I thought the area round the basin was classed as whatever zone the basin was in, no?

Yes, just for clarification, that zone 2 area in my piccy is not part of the 16th Ed. Regs., but as RF pointed out, the NICEIC (& some lighting manufacturers) make it Z2 for safety reasons.

securespark said:
I thought the area round the basin was classed as whatever zone the basin was in, no?

What I was getting at is (I know its unlikeley but I have seen it) but if a basin encraoches in to zone one (created by a bathtub) then that area around the basin is class one aswell, not the normal basin zone 2

Hope that makes sense,

I've had a long day Simon :LOL:
(and I'm on my laptop which is rubbish for typing, cos my PC wont work GRRR) [/rant]

securespark said:

Yes, just for clarification, that zone 2 area in my piccy is not part of the 16th Ed. Regs., but as RF pointed out, the NICEIC (& some lighting manufacturers) make it Z2 for safety reasons.

I don't quite understand (me being thick) that if allowed to fit shaver socket within Z2 (close to basin), why would some manufacturers make it Z2 for safety reasons.

Forget the basin.

The zones are as described in my piccy, regardless of where the basin is.

Now un-forget the basin!

Imagine that basin is in Z3... Now you can see that, despite being in Z3, the area around the basin is actually Z2.

That makes no difference if you a fitting stuff rated for Z2, but if you wanted to fit an accessory only suited to Z3, you could not if it were adjacent to that basin.

If you see what I mean...... :confused:

well just to forget about the basin for your shaver socket and return to the socket from the kitchen sink, I asked a similar question recently and also after having looked in the Regs can not find any info on how close or far you can place a socket, so can someone please quote this reg number for clarification?
Sorry for been a pain :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back