Getting your own Corgi

Rob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats involved with this? Obviously registered through the company at the moment but getting fed up of turning odd jobs down that i could do privatley.

Is it possible to be done without letting the company know... till its comlete anyway?

Spoke to another engineer, a while ago, and remember him saying it was just an interview. What about work on site? If im just doing the odd jobs bit difficult to plan isnt it?

Also whats the approx cost aswell?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just show them your works corgi card for proof of experience, your qualifications, pay your fees, not sure what it is now maybe £600 first year. Get your 3rd party insurance, for you maybe £500. He won't need to see any jobs on a pre-registration visit.

But unless you know a sparks you'll end up needing a part p qualification £800 membership of a certifying body £300 for electricery and test equipment £700.

Paul Barker said:
Just show them your works corgi card for proof of experience, your qualifications, pay your fees, not sure what it is now maybe £600 first year. Get your 3rd party insurance, for you maybe £500. He won't need to see any jobs on a pre-registration visit.

But unless you know a sparks you'll end up needing a part p qualification £800 membership of a certifying body £300 for electricery and test equipment £700.

2 best mates are sparks but odd jobs im talking LGSC and few repairs.

Fair point on the insurance though, is it really £600 just for a corgi card?? Suppose it pays for itself. Are they likely to contact the company where im working now?

thanks

rob

Its not likely that they would need to contact your existing employer BUT if you are quoting experience gained during their employment then they could do.

If any problem arose during YOUR own working then it could have an effect on your employment.

Suppose you installed a boiler and did not bother to correctly size the gas pipe to give a pressure drop of no more than 1 mB. They might require you to retrain and get reaccessed on gas pipe sizing. They might also suspend your registration on boilers until you had got that done.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I am sure payslips as evidence of sufficient experience would do and no I don't think they'll ask your employer any questions.

I dont see how a payslip can be any evidence of gas work experience.

For new registrations they require a portfolio covering many hours of experience of each work category. Was it not 80 hours of fitting gas fires?

Tony

Thanks Paul, Tony. Its purely for small jobs and gas certs as i said, doubt id bother with installation unless for family/friends.

Personal opinion..is is worth it and a good way to progress?

Going back a few years we had an engineer who did private work..from the company van. Unfortunately he used to do below standard work, and his interpersonal skills left a lot to be desired..so guess what..Corgi started getting complaints about his work..and Corgi landed like a ton of bricks on the company..who naturally had no idea what on earth they were talking about. THEN ALL WAS REVEALED. Guess whose employment was terminated rapidomondo.

I can get a private Corgi membership if I wish, but I can't use the Co van for private work and I have to notify the company of any private work I undertake, and they allow/disallow it. They have verbally said they would only disallow if a) there was any conflict of interest. b) If they felt the work being undertaken was beyond the experience of the operative. In practice nobody has taken this route as we are all too knackered by the end of the week, and Co will find weekend work for those who want it, subject to reasonable notice. A few of the lads have done this after buying Subaru Imprezzas Turbos..then finding out they do 14mpg GLUG GLUG££££££ :LOL:

Alfredo

Unless you only work five days a week and want to work 6 or 7 and several evenings then I dont see how it can be worth all the bother and cost.

What I would say is that if you are doing work on the side and I became aware of it then I would feel like reporting you to CORGi for doing unregistered work because thats unfair on both your employer and other RGIs.

Tony

Jeez Tony, bit of an echo in here. :D

I work for a firm and I got my own corgi at the start of september, and it had paid for itself and the insurance within 3 weeks.

I paid £425 for initial registration and 1st year membership, and about £550 for the insurance, which was also through corgi

Your company wont need to know about it, UNLESS you dont do an install within the first 3 months for them to inspect (they need to inspect your work within the first 3 months). If you havent done an install that they can inspect, they will arrange it with your current company to come and watch you service a boiler

Hope that helps.

P.S I only got asked about 10 questions in the interview, and they werent very difficult. You'll be fine

Agile said:
Unless you only work five days a week and want to work 6 or 7 and several evenings then I dont see how it can be worth all the bother and cost.

What I would say is that if you are doing work on the side and I became aware of it then I would feel like reporting you to CORGi for doing unregistered work because thats unfair on both your employer and other RGIs.

Tony

Well i do work 6 days a week and 10-11 hours a day. Which i dont mind but just think its not worth it when i could be earning from my own jobs. I get many landlords happy with my work after i fix or service their boiler and want me to do other jobs privatley. This is unfair and i wont do.

Alfredo my boss is pretty reasonable and cant see him really caring about usung the van or the odd parts here and there. Its just getting my own corgi registration just looks a bit much as though im gonna be taking the **** but really i just wanna cover myself.

Thanks newcomers, i also paid for my ACS last year when we were (technically) self employed! So wanna start claiming a bit of that back aswell!

arfurrrr said:
don`t forget your tax liability and accountant fees ?

It'll still easily pay for itself. Even if you was only doing 1 job a week,within a year it'd make you double what you paid out for (inc insurance and accountant fee's)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back