New condensing boiler - suggestions please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another thread... another boiler question :)

I'm looking at new condensing boilers...and the choice is vast.... at the moment we have a Vaillant 242 and it has been OK for the past 12-13 years. I have also been looking at the published energy ratings and those boilers that are A rated.

The Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 and 824 look to be sufficient for our 3 bed end of terrace. Both are around £800 - £900 incl. VAT retail. The girls in the house also EXPECT instant hot water with a decent flow (you can imagine how fed up they are with lukewarm water from the 242!) :LOL:

Any horror stories about these boilers - or suggestions on better or cheaper alternatives please?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Why do you think the 824 will give you more hot water than your 242?

The 831 will give you about 12.5 l/min as opposed to 9.5 l/min from the 824. For the sake of £100 i`d opt for the 831. Your installer can rate down the heating side on this model to make it more efficient as you`ll not need 31kw of heating. Nice pieces of kit. Good luck with the ear ache!

Cheers Strachan...

Agile, the 242 has never really provided much of a flow and barely any when another hot water tap is in use... but with the recent problems the hot water is more like the temperature of a public swimming pool....

We don't have a separately powered/heated shower etc... just a bath, so the earache from the girls is getting louder and louder :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
dfarry said:
The girls in the house also EXPECT instant hot water

Are you running a place of entertainment?

Depends how many there are, and if any are ginger :eek: I`m sure you`ll get a discount!!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Well one is 8 and the other 6 so no entertainment there.... the other provides entertainment for me only....when I'm in the good books...

Anyway they remind me how they can't wash/bath properly now so must stink!! :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back