Drilling Sinks

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have some detergent pumps that I want to mount in the deck of two sinks. They need a 1" hole (being American). One sink is Asterite and one is Stainless.

I have a 1" HSS drill and some hole cutters.

The asterite sink has a 6mm hole that I will use as a pilot because I had a pump there before, and I think my HSS drill is the thing to use ( I can't get the hole cutters to run true on it).

I find stainless is difficult to drill because it is hard and shiny and I have an idea it work hardens. Should I drill a Pilot hole?

Sponsored Links
The stainless will snag a 1" drill and get torn up. Ideally a step drill or a hole punch is what you need, I have both and could send you one if it isn't urgent.

If it were a metal sheet you would clamp a block of wood either side and drill through that, it would hold the steel flat.

The other material I'm not sure about.

If you can't wait for a hole punch you could try geting a friend to push up against you with a block of wood, but take care you don't end up with a block of wood shaped indent.

I find that for drilling thin metal it is best to use a high drill speed hold it really firm, and if you are lucky it cuts through rather than pulling up the lip of the hole when you get to the critical point. Some form of animal fat like dripping but at least butter would help.

A Q-Max cutter is the D's B's for stainless, but I'm sure I've used a HSS/biimetal holesaw. SHould work OK for either sink, I'd have thought?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions, and Paul, your kind offer. Am off on hols shortly, will have another think when I'm back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back