Noisy central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a new central heating system installed about 10 months ago and it has been nothing but trouble. We had the combi ripped out and a condensing boiler, hot water tank system put in.

The main problem now is that every month or so the system becomes very noisy. So much so that when the hot water kicks in in the morning the knocks, creaks and air noises are so loud they wake us up. I have tried topping up the pressure in the past and this may have had an effect (but I cannot be sure) but this time the pressure has not dropped at all and still the noises have started again.

When the noises start you also start getting alot of noise from the heating/radiator system. You can hear the water circulating and lots of knocks and gurgles coming from the raditors when the hot water is running even though the heating is not on.

So my questions are these....

1) any ideas on how to stop the periodic noisy hot water?
2) why does the system circulate the water in the raditors even when the heating function is switched off - should it be doing this?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I intend to but it will be another re-call in already bitter and long running dispute about a variety of problems with this system so I wanted to get some extra info in my armoury before I speak to them....

particularly, should the water be circulating in the raditators when hot water is on but the central heating is off. Logic says to me that the valves to the central heating should be closed and water not being pumped through them but I am not sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back