Short Circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( I have a flourescent tube light in my kitchen with a pul-string switch. When I tried to switch this light on today the tube light did not come on but has also blown the other lights in the kitchen. All other lights and sockets are aokay. What happened and how can it be repaired? Anybody with expert electrical knowledge out there please help.

Sponsored Links
you need a new light, i would also recomend you get an electrician in to do it for you, just to make sure all is well / safe

breezer said:
you need a new light, i would also recomend you get an electrician in to do it for you, just to make sure all is well / safe
#

what about the other lights in the kitchen? They do not come on when you put the switch on. Hopw will these work after changing the light which started the problem? Thanks.

Might not be the light.

Maybe the switch has broken.

Maybe a wire has come loose from the switch.

When you say all the other lights have "blown", what do you mean? Just that they don't work, or that all the bulbs really did blow?

But I agree with Breezer - I think you should get an electrician. If you can't think of the limited range of likely options for the cause of the fault yourself, and consider that you need expert knowledge so to do, then without wishing to cause offence, your level of knowledge is probably insufficient to DIY..

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Might not be the light.

Maybe the switch has broken.

Maybe a wire has come loose from the switch.

When you say all the other lights have "blown", what do you mean? Just that they don't work, or that all the bulbs really did blow?

But I agree with Breezer - I think you should get an electrician. If you can't think of the limited range of likely options for the cause of the fault yourself, and consider that you need expert knowledge so to do, then without wishing to cause offence, your level of knowledge is probably insufficient to DIY..

The other lights just won't come on. I am going to get an electrician in as I wiil not attempt the repair myself but want to pick an expert's brain so that I am not taken for a ride, i.e. a small job made to be ver big, if you know what I mean. Thanks.

Valmel, to be honest no-one can give you accurate advice without a load of information that you do not have the technical knowledge or skill to provide, or by actually being there and seeing the way everything is connected together.

There should be no real reason why the failure of one light should cause the others to stop working unless these are fed from the switched side of the sdupply and the switch has failed, or a fuse in the fluorescent fitting has blown thus stopping the supply.

You have not said if these other lights are in the same room as the fluorescent or seperate with their own switches, if this is the case then there is a reasonable chance they are on their own circuit and that a fuse or MCB has blown when the florry died.

Your decision to call in an electrician is a the smart move, but it is difficult to tell you if you are being ripped off without a lot more detail about the problem and it's rectification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back