Which finish for skimming?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What type of thistle would you recommend for skimming over an artexed bathroom ceiling. Board or Multi finish?

The artex is not a deep heavy pattern, its the light "pimple" effect (circa 1970's)

Sponsored Links
you could use either, though i would say multi gives the longer working time.

i prefer board finish for its swift predictable curing rate.

Thanks.

So for an amateur its probably best to go for multi?

Sponsored Links
Fortunately the area is only 6' x 6'.

Its one of those jobs i want to have a go at myself.

Worse case scenario, if i balls it up, i'll cut my losses and re-board.

If the finish is a bit iffy after you've plastered you can always use jointing compound to fill small dips. the great thing about jointing compound is it can be easily sanded when dry. good luck

I have alo used SmoothOver to good effect when having had a go at plastering. Purists will scoff, I am sure, but, with its big spreader-thingy, it does a good job of covering the mistakes! As far as i can tell its just a fine polyfilla-type material.

I'm not sure but I think smooth over is jointing compound re-packaged for the DIY market. and with a re-packaged price of course ;)

I had a go at skimming a wall last week. The results weren't too bad but had a couple of issues.

The old coat had blown so I scraped the whole lot back to the render. I then did 3 coats, hardwall, browning and multifinish. What I found is that when I came to apply the finish coat and polish it, it sometimes came off in patches. Not a big deal and I was able to fill in the holes.

The main prob was the pits and grooves which I hadn't polished out. My feeling is that its down to my lack of experience. I had the multifinish mixed pretty sloppy, but it still only gave around a minute of working time on the trowel.

htgeng said:
I had the multifinish mixed pretty sloppy, but it still only gave around a minute of working time on the trowel.

Did you let the browning dry before applying finish? If not, did you PVA the browning before applying finish?

If not - that'll probably be why the finish went off so quickly. If you did PVA it all then maybe the plaster was old. The older it gets the quicker it goes off.

If it's a first effort then well done. You're right - it's experience and know how. Keep practicing and you'll get better and better.

Fred.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back