Where should the main earth connect to the gas/water pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A sparks has just done some minor works on the house and has told me the main earth should have 2 x 10mm earth and not 2 x 6mm, even though there's no sign of burning. My query is about where they should be bonded to the gas/water pipe. Currently the earth to the gas pipe is bonded to the outgoing gas pipe at the meter which I believe is correct. The earth bonded to the water pipe midway between where it enters the house in the basement and the stopcock. The distance from where it enters the house to the stopcock is around 7m. I believe it should be either my side of the stopcock or a lot nearer to where the water pipe enters the building. Anyone got BS 7671 handy ?

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Within 600mm of the meter, or at the point of entry to the building if the meter's outside, before any branches in the pipe.

The gas bonding should be within 600mm of the gas meter, and the water should be next to the stop cock, using 10mm earth cable.

Sponsored Links
Daddy Boots said:
A sparks has just done some minor works on the house and has told me the main earth should have 2 x 10mm earth and not 2 x 6mm, even though there's no sign of burning. My query is about where they should be bonded to the gas/water pipe. Currently the earth to the gas pipe is bonded to the outgoing gas pipe at the meter which I believe is correct. The earth bonded to the water pipe midway between where it enters the house in the basement and the stopcock. The distance from where it enters the house to the stopcock is around 7m. I believe it should be either my side of the stopcock or a lot nearer to where the water pipe enters the building. Anyone got BS 7671 handy ?

You need to bond within 600mm from the gas meter, before any branching, on the consumers side

and within 600mm of the water mains coming out of the ground, if there is no water meter inside.

If a water meter exists then within 600mm of the water meter on the consumers side before any pipe branching.

clean the copper pipes with sand paper until shiny and then fit new earth clamps and fit 10mm cables back to the CU with crimped connections fitted to the earth clamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back