Is Homebase paint the same as Crown? Quality question!

Dit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pots that they come in are the same, and there is a £3 difference for a 2.5l pot. Obviously the colours are named differently but the shades look the same to me. If they are the same then I wouldn't need to worry about the quality difference, and save a few bob. Do you agree? And if they are manufactured differently, is there a quality difference?

I'm convinced that B & Q buy their ready to use tile adhesives from Unibond for the same reason, as when you look on the lids the batch numbers are even in the same format, although in different lettering size/shape.

Sponsored Links
Any home brand stuff is normally crap...and retial emulsion isnt far behind either!

You may as well go for the cheaper one.

Thanx for yer reply. If Crown is also poor quality, what would you define as good? Those Farrow and Balls types, named after harvest foods eg "wholegrain bread with ham and a hint of mustard"? I have to say I think they're overrated! (if you hadn't already guessed)

lol...

well crown is fine...as is dulux etc

I agree about the other stuff being a bit over rated too...check our firederth paints for overated!

Parchment look colour cards are ones to avoid...that means another 10 quid for 5 litres.

Retail paints are ok...but poor in comparision to trade paints

Sponsored Links
I know old message, but was in bnq this weekend and the contractor guy fitting out the paint aisle told me crown make the homebase paint when I was asking them about paints (thought they were bnq staff)

Crown do make homebase paint but its nowhere near the standard of their own trade paint, they probably give homebase what they are prepared to pay for hence an inferior paint. They also make Albany for Brewers and their range isnt bad. Its all about the money.

In my experience of emulsion paints....

Poor quality:

Any paint with 'value' in the name
Farrow & Ball (lovely colours, awful paint)

Better quality:

Dulux (although can be overpriced)
Crown/Berger
Gliddens
Laura Ashley

Best:

Little Greene
Dulux Heritage
Leyland/Johnstones
Sandersons

I think at the present moment Johnstones/ Leyland would be a very good choice.

Dec

Put some F&B modern emulsion up the other day and was lovely to work with and the finish and depth of colour superb, i think some painters just dont get on with it as i've never had a problem, could be a technique thing ?? Their customer service is crap though and if you think its over priced do some research into their pigment and grinding.
Little green is also very good but needs a fair bit of thinning.
Dulux is fine but they just give me the hump these days with prices and customer service.
Been using johnstones more and more and would buy rather than dulux now, very nice paint.
I have been using Gliddens vinyl and contract matt on ceilings for a couple of years but have just switched to johnstones covaplus because its cheaper.

Dont touch any shed own brand, laura Ashley (based on their paper). I've never used leyland, Albany has some good products in their range and never had a problem with crown. I am talking generally matt emulsions here but on the whole i think we should use what we're comfortable with. and i always steer clients towards the trade paints and away from diy off the shelf including dulux etc

Yes, I think that's good advice. I wonder whether F & B have improved their emulsion since I last used it (and vowed I'd never touch it again! Inconsistent, sloppy, poor opacity). Their estate eggshell has always been very nice, but the emulsion is/was one of the biggest scams ever perpetrated on the chattering classes.(Elephant's Breath! Dead Salmon! I ask you). Perhaps I will arrange a mortgage and give it another try.

Laura Ashley - the paint is def. better than the wallpaper, which I agree can be a pain. They have some quite nice subtle colours, too.

I must try Johnstone's Covaplus. A number of people have recommended it to me recently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back