BAXI 105HE CONDENSING BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.I have recently had to have the condensate trap replaced due to the old one leaking.About an hour after being replaced the pressure started to drop rapidly.I kept topping up the pressure to 1.5 bar or slighty above but whithin an hour the neon light indicating a fault started flashing.The enginner that fitted the trap seems to think there might be a leak in the system.There is no leak from upstairs so the only place it can be coming from is under the floor boards in the front room.This is would only be accesible if i pulled up the wood floor which i dont want to do!NO DIY work has been done in the house so no nails or anything has been hammerd into the pipes.Any help would be very helpful.

Sponsored Links
When you say the old trap was leaking were was it leaking from ?.Is it an instant 105 he ?

Thre was a crack in the trap.THe new trap is not leaking and yes its an instant 105 he.There is no leaks from the pipes outside either.

You will have to check the blow off pipe is not passing water to outside. It is a 15mm pipe that should run from the bottom of the boiler to outside. It may be passing water due to a stuck valve not shut properly or loss of expantion vessel pressure.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.There is 2 pipes coming from the boiler through the wall.The copper pipe which comes about 6inch out the wall is not leaking but the pipe which goes down to drainage leaks even when boiler is not on.Im very much a novice here as its my first house so havnt got a clue.

Sounds like thats the condensate pipe going to the drainage.

That should only discharge significant water when the boiler is on.

If it really lets more than a few cc when its off the suspicion would be an internal leak inside the boiler.

You can isolate the heating circuits under the boiler and see if the pressure indicated on the boiler goes down.

Presumably still under guaranty?

Tony

No mate.Had it fitted over 18months now and only came with 12months guarantee.Wouldent even know where to start to isolate the heating circuits.When you say an internal leak,do you mean water because everything seems fine inside the bolier.Having to top the pressure up every 15mins now.

drewBOY said:
.When you say an internal leak,do you mean water because everything seems fine inside the bolier.Having to top the pressure up every 15mins now.

I dont see how anything can be fine if you are having to top up every 15 minutes.

When the boiler is off then is a significant amount of water flowing out of the condensate pipe?

What does the installer say? I hope they were CORGI registered!

If its really a serious internal fault in the boiler then you might be able to get the manufacturers to cover it on a discretionary basis as you dont expect a serious failure so soon. ( Fit for the purpose etc. )

Tony

Worded that wrong.What i meant to say is that there is no water leaking inside the boiler and that it seems fine that way.Just turned the boiler off and water is still coming out of the condensate pipe.Not gushing out but still a constant trickle.

Well that implies that water is leaking INSIDE the boiler from the system to the condensate drain.

Thats likely to be a serious fault such as a failed primary heat exchanger!

Tony

So this sounds like i dont have to take up the floor at least.The guys that fitted the boiler were CORGI registered aswell.Do you think the whole boiler will have to be replaced or just that particular part.Sorry for my ignorance but like i say im a novice.Hope baxi do have some consideration for these circumstances.

Generally the specific faulty part can be replaced within the boiler.

We dont know exactly what is leaking or why.

Its quite possible that the failure is caused by dirty system water rather than any manufacturing defect.

It needs a very competent engineer to dismantle and identify exactly whats gone wrong. Installers rarely have those skills.

Arguing about repair/replacement with a manufacturer can take weeks with the larger firms like Baxi.

Sometimes they will settle by providing a free issue replacement part for your own engineer to fit.

Tony

Just went to top boiler up and condensate trap started leaking from the yellow plastic nut.Turned everyting off including electrics because water got inside the pressure guage.Phoned the guy who fitted the condensate trap on friday and he is phoning baxi tomorrow.He didnt fit the boiler but he repairs them and services them.

It sounds like it is leaking from the secondary heat x.If there is a split/crack in it the system water will migrate to the condensate drain.If you have good hearing fill your system to about 2bar and listen around the secondary heat x you may hear water passing staight through it :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back