air vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wots the point in havin double glazin if there goin to have air vents, there rubbish and just let noise and dafts in.
supermega.. :mad:

Sponsored Links
because of the suffocating efficiency of double glazing, people soon realized that buildings were becoming humidity fortresses, with no change of air inside the building.

trickle vents are there to counter such problems.

noseall said:
because of the suffocating efficiency of double glazing, people soon realized that buildings were becoming humidity fortresses, with no change of air inside the building.

My OLD (1890ish) is fully dbl glazed trickle vents on the newer windows, dbl glazed doors, no exposed floor boards. THe drafts that I get, loft & chimney.

noseall said:

i some times think my old winders were better :mad:

Sponsored Links
Yes it does seem a little strange until you understand how dangerous the by-products of the fuel combustion process can be. To the uninitiated, some regulations seem to be at odds with each other; we go to great lengths to insulate & prevent draughts & then have to install permanent ventilators. These are, however, essential to prevent condensation & provide an adequate air supply for fuel burners!

Having got a very competitive quote for cavity insulation the salesman then insisted on an extra £100 to install 2 ventilators (kitchen - oil fired boiler; lounge - open fire) or they would not do the job; I declined his offer as it was obvious he was trying to take advantage of an older property & get more money out of the job! I will, however, be installing the vents myself (although I’m still undecided about the cavity insulation!) because it makes sense & is better than being dead!

must ppl i know dont have them daft air vents only us and nexts door. ppl that dont have them r ok like my nan and my m8, i think they have ruined double glazin now and as the old sayin gos

they dont make them how they use too. and,
if its dont boken dont fix it.

supermega said:
must ppl i know dont have them daft air vents only us and nexts door. ppl that dont have them r ok like my nan and my m8, i think they have ruined double glazin now and as the old sayin gos

they dont make them how they use too. and,
if its dont boken dont fix it.
Is this some sort of wind up!

Richard C said:
Yes it does seem a little strange until you understand how dangerous the by-products of the fuel combustion process can be. To the uninitiated, some regulations seem to be at odds with each other; we go to great lengths to insulate & prevent draughts & then have to install permanent ventilators. These are, however, essential to prevent condensation & provide an adequate air supply for fuel burners!

Having got a very competitive quote for cavity insulation the salesman then insisted on an extra £100 to install 2 ventilators (kitchen - oil fired boiler; lounge - open fire) or they would not do the job; I declined his offer as it was obvious he was trying to take advantage of an older property & get more money out of the job! I will, however, be installing the vents myself (although I’m still undecided about the cavity insulation!) because it makes sense & is better than being dead!

i think fuel combustion is aload of rubbish and thats my view of it, air vents or not its not dangerous its just daft rules. double galzin today is ajoke they dont use wot do u call that staff now formm or something in the window flames and to add to that air vents that dont even shut right.
double glazin years ago would be better, my nan dont have air vents or my m8 and more ppl i know dont have air vents in there double glazin flames
i swear them air vents are ajoke

The good point of having vents is not having to leave the window open & control condensation problem.

every air vent in my house dont even shut 100 percent they have a srew to the left thats stopin it from shutin complety. i was wondin if theres anyway i can block the air vents or take the srew out or something.

it annoys me that they dont even shut right coz of a srew on the left stopin it. :mad:

Further to earlier replies, I purchased an oversized plastic table cloth which drapes on the floor and i now live under the table. It is very cosy under here away from those pesky modern windows.

p.s. what are window flames? they sound dangerous

im thinkin about movin in to the kitchen or something coz its warner there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back