Running cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just wondering, Can I run 6mm cable behind alcoving? Are there any new part P laws against it? From what I have read It seems that you cannot run It behind Scirting board anymore but There is nothing to say about alcoving! This would save me ripping nearly a whole ceiling down!

Sponsored Links
So long as the cable is within 150mm of the join between wall and ceiling theres not a problem.
Might be prudent to make a note on the eic or at cu of cable run.

comms said:
So long as the cable is within 150mm of the join between wall and ceiling theres not a problem.
Might be prudent to make a note on the eic or at cu of cable run.

Thats a great help, thanks! Also, does anyone know is it better to get a new consumer unit with an R.C.D or with normal M.C.B ( I am not fitting it)?

Three options:
1, split load board will have mcb's + 30mA rcd

2, No split load with no 30mA rcd and use rcbo's instead of mcb's on socket / shower circuits

3, Use a board with an 30mA RCD as the main switch (but will cut all circuits in event of rcd tripping, a pain if it's a lamp blowing)

It will also depend on you supply type if it's TT you'll need a 100A 100mA s type rcd as main switch + 30mA rcd or rcbo's for circuits supplying sockets or showers.

Sponsored Links
comms said:
Three options:
1, split load board will have mcb's + 30mA rcd

2, No split load with no 30mA rcd and use rcbo's instead of mcb's on socket / shower circuits

3, Use a board with an 30mA RCD as the main switch (but will cut all circuits in event of rcd tripping, a pain if it's a lamp blowing)

It will also depend on you supply type if it's TT you'll need a 100A 100mA s type rcd as main switch + 30mA rcd or rcbo's for circuits supplying sockets or showers.

In my last house I had , board with an 30mA RCD as the main switch, and your pefectly right, it tripped out everything. I am just going to run a new cooker cable back to my excisting board but It looks likes it need replacing anyway, would this be ok/ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-way-split-...7QQihZ001QQcategoryZ41499QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It looks unbranded, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, stick with the well known names, MK, Wylex, Hager, MEM, Merlin Gerin, Crabtree, etc and you won't go wrong.

B+Q supprisingliy had some Wylex 10 way split boards with 80A 30ma RCD with some sockets thrown in for £70 not long ago

Also check your spark is happy with you buying equipment, he might prefer to supply it himself, because he knows which makes he prefers, and it enables him to offer a warrenty easier (if you bought it yourself and something fails, you'l have to have the supplier change it and then pay him to swop it, if he supplies and fits... you just have to get the spark back to fix it)

Adam_151 said:
It looks unbranded, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, stick with the well known names, MK, Wylex, Hager, MEM, Merlin Gerin, Crabtree, etc and you won't go wrong.

B+Q supprisingliy had some Wylex 10 way split boards with 80A 30ma RCD with some sockets thrown in for £70 not long ago

Also check your spark is happy with you buying equipment, he might prefer to supply it himself, because he knows which makes he prefers, and it enables him to offer a warrenty easier (if you bought it yourself and something fails, you'l have to have the supplier change it and then pay him to swop it, if he supplies and fits... you just have to get the spark back to fix it)
Thanks, I just thought they all had to conform to CE, BSSE, standard, I didnt think that they would be able to sell me something that wasnt safe or upto standard! Just phoned there shop and they are all certificated and are R.O.H.S compliante, so it would be up to the spark really!

WINKLE1 said:
Adam_151 said:
It looks unbranded, I wouldn't Thanks, I just thought they all had to conform to BSSE standard, I didnt think that they would be able to sell me something that wasnt safe or upto standard!

True, but some are definitely better than others.

Consideration must also be given to how much space you have to allow for the size of the CU.

Our wholesaler has an offer on those CUs.

Buy one cheap nasty CU and get a free fire extinguisher. :eek:

Seriously though you should be looking to pay £60-£80 for a 10 / 12 way split load CU.

a wise old man said:
You get what you pay for

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back